HELP!!! chicken comb torn

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Disco Hen, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Disco Hen

Disco Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2012
    Sonoma CA
    We have a chicken who was not attacked by another chicken but has a bloody comb we think another animal attacked her. Here are pics what should we do we don't want to dub it and we have used flour to stop the bleeding. but it still seems to be bleeding.
    [​IMG]
    Its like that from the flour
    [​IMG]
    Thats from blood running down from her comb

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Should be fine like it is. Watch for others pecking and infection. Otherwise, don't worry about it.......Pop

3. Disco Hen

Jan 7, 2012
    Sonoma CA
    We have her in our bathroom so the other chickens can't pick on her.

4. Glasshen

Glasshen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    La Fayette, NY
    Recently one of my hens was pecked so that she had a bleeding comb. I put antibiotic cream on her comb. It healed well. There is a product called Blu-Kote that people on this site told me about which is a bit antibacterial, and antifungal and it makes the area blue so the blood won't be visible to the others. I was warned that the Blu-Kote stains and so to watch out for your clothes, and skin. Rubber gloves and a smock were my choices. From my hens reactions, I would say that the stuff stings. She closed her eyes, kinked her neck and pecked my leg a few times. She forgave me when I gave her some sunflower seeds.

What I don't know is whether it is better to put on BluKote and get her back to the coop, or antibacterial cream and let her heal a bit away from the others. Keeping them isolated makes for trouble in pecking order.

Scabs appear black, so perhaps a little of the cream, get the blood off her and when she is scabbed over she could go back.

Check on her to be sure the others are not pecking her wounds.

5. Disco Hen

Jan 7, 2012
    Sonoma CA
    Thanks we will try that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by