help!!!!! Chicken deformed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by momma bird, Aug 11, 2011.

1. momma bird

momma bird New Egg

Jul 6, 2010
    Greeneville, TN
    [​IMG] My chicks hatched a couple of days ago and one of them seems to have his legs upside down. He also can't bend his head forward to eat or drink by himself. [​IMG]

2. momma bird

momma bird New Egg

Jul 6, 2010
    Greeneville, TN
    [​IMG]

What do I do with him??????

3. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    What would the other chicks do with him? Or even mama? Sad call but to me only one that makes sense.[​IMG]

4. momma bird

momma bird New Egg

Jul 6, 2010
    Greeneville, TN
    I took him from the nest this morning the others where all walking all over him and Momma was not happy when I took him. She kept trying to step on him and bite me. So horrible to watch,[​IMG]

5. mysweetgypsy

mysweetgypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    If he can't eat or drink on his own, I'd say put him down. How you'd go about such a thing I don't know! I have a scissor beak hen that can eat and drink on her own so we just take it day by day, she's almost 4 months old. Poor little guy, he looks so cute [​IMG] I don't envy the position you're in. Good luck [​IMG]

6. momma bird

momma bird New Egg

Jul 6, 2010
    Greeneville, TN
    My husband said he would do it if I can't. But hate to see it suffer. Momma is no longer sitting on the other 4 egss so do I take thiose also? Don't have an incubator to put them in.

7. momma bird

momma bird New Egg

Jul 6, 2010
    Greeneville, TN
    It's done [​IMG] poor little guy [​IMG]

8. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I'm sorry. Just because it's better than having it suffer doesn't make it easy. [​IMG]

9. Silkie-Guinz

Silkie-Guinz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Virginia
    I'm so sorry to hear about the little chick. [​IMG] Just remember he isn't suffering anymore. [​IMG]

10. momma bird

momma bird New Egg

Jul 6, 2010
    Greeneville, TN
    Thanks guys I knew it had to be done but doesnt make it an easier. My grandmother lived to a ripe old age of 108 and always asked me to just suffocate her and put her out of her misery. She would say if I were an animal they would have put me down years ago. She actually got to the point that she said it wasnt fair to let her keeping living. But we are sure glad she did. Always had her mind it was the body that didnt work right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by