HELP CHICKEN DYING?????

sundayfunday

Chirping
Sep 5, 2015
I'm in a panic. Chicken looks like she is dying. It's 100 degrees and humid, I've been giving the girls cold water with ice cubes and seeds in it, watermelon to stay cooler. The one is laying down, beak closed looks like she's almost gone. I pick her up and put cold water on her. She falls to the side when I put her down, doesn't seem to be able to walk. Doesn't want to drink water. WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Do you think you've cooler her down? It may be too late for that one. I'm hoping some more experienced people will see your post and chime in. Are the rest of the chickens able to get out of the heat? Do they have shade? Can you set up a fan?

The others are fine, They have shade and are able to roam in the garden under bushes etc.. They have lots of ice water and food. I cannot put a fan down there. I did hold her in a bowl of cold water for about 15 mins, she tried to get out so I lifted her, seems to be falling to the one side and unable to walk/stand. Still will not drink. I put frozen peas out there for them too. I'll just keep going out and replacing her in water until someone chimes in, she gets better or not :-(

Thanks so much for your help and encouragement. I kept putting her in a bowl of cold water, she started to try to get out so I let her sit there and went back to check on her. Finally brought her into the house in the A/C for a bit and then took her back out, she pretty much just sits there and can't really get up, tries but falls down. I sat outside next to the coop keeping an eye on her for several hours. She sometimes preens under her wing which I guess is a good sign? I sprayed the coop off with more water to try and keep it cooled off. Not sure whether to bring her in tonight. It's quite breezy at the moment so I'll check back in a while.

There is a chance that the heat is not your culprit, or not the only issue. I know that some people have reported their chickens dying in hot weather, but your others are okay. Mine have made it through some 100º days. So keep that in mind that she may have other issues. And good luck!

Thanks. She has been out before in over 100 degrees too and survived. I brought her into an area in the basement with a fan so will check on her later.

Just wanted to update since you were so kind in responding. I had her in the basement overnight with a fan. This morning she has moved (I think more like fell out of the pan) and is sitting looking alert, making some noises. She would not drink water but did eat some grain. Not walking around but definite improvement over yesterday. Hubby needs his fan back but I'll keep her inside until tonight I think. Hoping she will be able to get up and move around ok soon.

This site and forum is wonderful for inexperienced owners like myself. I guess I'll know what to do if it happens again in the future :)

Back
Top Bottom