HELP....CHICKEN HAS HAD WATERY POO FOR A LONG TIME AND NO IMPROVEMENT

From the book

-Kathy

Last edited:
The manual specifies chickens, turkeys and gamebirds, but like you, I have used more than what it recommends. When my nightmares with blackhead started I had liquid metronidazole and it was effective at 30mg/kg (30mg/2.2 pounds), so I know that it works and I saved many using that dosing scheme.

A 4.5 pound bird should get *no less* than 60mg once a day, but I have heard of vets prescribing twice that amount, twice a day.

-Kathy
Twin City poultry wrote me back and said this about the 1 pill 1 day for canker/blackhead. I asked for the milligram for weight, etc.

"250 mg. And it's one pill any less will not work. Does not matter the size of the bird."

Twin City poultry wrote me back and said this about the 1 pill 1 day for canker/blackhead. I asked for the milligram for weight, etc.

"250 mg. And it's one pill any less will not work. Does not matter the size of the bird."
My issue is that there website says to use it for one day and it should be five days. If you don't believe, me call a vet school and ask them. Also, write them back and ask them how much you should give a 1 pound chicken, a 40 pound turkey and a 1/4 pound quail, I bet you they don't have an appropriate answer. I've had to treat small quail, peafowl, small peachicks, turkey poults, chickens and turkeys with metronidazole, the size of the bird *does* matter, and any vet will tell you that, I guarantee it!

Bottom line... a 250mg pill will probably be okay for a 4.5 pound chicken, maybe even one smaller, but I sure wouldn't give that much to one of my Seramas, peachicks or quail.

-Kathy

-Kathy

Originally Posted by casportpony

My issue is that there website says to use it for one day and it should be five days. If you don't believe, me call a vet school and ask them. Also, write them back and ask them how much you should give a 1 pound chicken, a 40 pound turkey and a 1/4 pound quail, I bet you they don't have an appropriate answer. I've had to treat small quail, peafowl, small peachicks, turkey poults, chickens and turkeys with metronidazole, the size of the bird *does* matter, and any vet will tell you that, I guarantee it!

Bottom line... a 250mg pill will probably be okay for a 4.5 pound chicken, maybe even one smaller, but I sure wouldn't give that much to one of my Seramas, peachicks or quail.

-Kathy

X2. There are many shops selling medications that are vague about dosages or lengths of dosage, or don't even know. It is always best to do the research from veterinary sources or University trials.

Last edited:
Okay, I did treat for Blackhead and there is even more improvement.
This is her poo today (photo) and a photo of her as well.
I will get a kitchen scale as soon as I can, but for right now, she feels heavier and thicker.
I treated with the blackhead pill 250mg 1pill for 1 day per the instructions on the 14th.

Unfortunately, she did snore a bit last night and seems to be getting a rattle, but I'll watch and see - I think someone had said it may not be a bad thing to treat with Baytril???

The other ones I didn't treat for the blackhead, but there is still time if you think that is appropriate - their poo is not runny.

Thank you for any input and continued support of Jasmine!

Thank you so much for asking.

I posted two photos and commented just before you asking. See above.

She seems to be doing better. I'll do another check tomorrow. I do have Corid on the way, because all of their poo is starting to have a yellow tint to it thought it's not watery like hers was?????

KATHY & MICHAEL - THANK YOU - PLEASE CHECK THIS UPDATE FOR YOUR CURRENT OPINION! THANK YOU!

(Dawg, I am trying my best to balance all of the information and be a responsible steward of my animals - I would think that would be what all advisers on this forum would expect. I am grateful.)

THUS, I have Corid on the way, but that may have changed with the new information?
I do not have enough of the blackhead/canker to treat all six (it only came with 25 tablets) and said on it 1 pill for 1 day so I thought I had plenty. The 10 day window for the Valbazen will not give me 5 days in between at this point, if that is still the consensus. It would probably also take at least 3 business days to get here - unless it's under a name at general feed stores?
Saturday the 12th is when they were treated with the Valbazen. Jasmine received the 1 pill for blackhead on the 14th.

AT THIS POINT, WHAT IS THE RECOMMENDATION?
By seeing today's poo - Is it Corid or 5 days of blackhead meds??? And, do I have to do it in-between the Valbazen 10 day gap? Because today would be the beginning of the last 5 days between???
Or, is it something different entirely?

This is Jasmine's - the sickest hen and the only one who had signs before...

This is what I am seeing some of the others do (some of the others are still normal as well)

Back
Top Bottom