Help - chicken limping and laying shell-less eggs!

Serotonin

Chirping
Jul 18, 2022
Something is going around my flock and I could use some advice. I have two chickens who have been laying shell-less or wrinkled eggs and just generally seeming below par. They have access to oyster shell at all times, so I'm not confident it's a calcium issue. I brought one inside yesterday after she stayed in the nesting box all day. I was worried enough as is, but today I noticed the other one has suddenly developed a limp. She is keeping her weight almost totally off her right foot and is stumbling and falling over. She's also a bit lethargic.

It could be a physical injury, but I didn't notice anything obviously wrong with the leg or foot (photos attached). Since she has been laying "eggs" overnight under her perch that are just shriveled up shell and yolk, I'm worried it could be something like Marek's.

I have found evidence of worms in the run and am treating the flock for them... But could worms cause this? Do you think something else could be wrong? Does anyone have any suggestions for treatment or supportive care?

Attachments

• PXL_20240414_224433356_exported_497.jpg
    PXL_20240414_224433356_exported_497.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 33
  • PXL_20240414_224618111.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240414_224618111.MP.jpg
    785.1 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20240414_224554354.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240414_224554354.MP.jpg
    837.5 KB · Views: 3
  • PXL_20240414_224328640.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240414_224328640.MP.jpg
    689.4 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20240414_223953253.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240414_223953253.MP.jpg
    802 KB · Views: 4
What do you feed them? Have you noticed any frequent sneezing in the flock? You may want to give a human calcium citrate with vitamin D3 orally to the hen with the thin shell eggs. How old are the 2 birds with symptoms? I would use some human B complex vitamins 1/2 tablet daily crushed in food or given orally to the one with lameness.

What do you feed them? Have you noticed any frequent sneezing in the flock? You may want to give a human calcium citrate with vitamin D3 orally to the hen with the thin shell eggs. How old are the 2 birds with symptoms? I would use some human B complex vitamins 1/2 tablet daily crushed in food or given orally to the one with lameness.

I feed them Purina Layena. They get a bit of Grubblies and BOSS to help coax them back into their run after free ranging in the morning and evening (respectively). They periodically also get vegetables, Greek yogurt, and eggs. They tend to eat a lot of grass while free ranging.

I haven't noticed frequent sneezing per say... There has been some sneezing, but it's usually a single chicken one or a few times in a row, then not again (or at least not while I'm around). I haven't noticed these specific two chickens sneezing recently, though I did notice the one laying the wrinkled eggs (Mille) had some clear discharge around her nostrils once. That was probably about a week ago though, and I haven't noticed it since. The weather has been very turbulent lately, with sun and 70s one day and rain and 40s the next, so it does feel like prime illness season.

The two chickens in question are both almost 2 years old (their birthday is in June).

Thanks for the suggestions about the supplements! I don't have any at the moment, but I'll order some now and give it a try!

Worms deprive them of important nutrients and can cause inflammation of the intestines which can cause egg disorders.

IB Infectious Brochitis and EDS Egg Drop Syndrome are viruses that cause wrinkled, deformed eggs and shell less eggs to be laid at night.
Infectious Bronchitis in Poultry - Poultry - MSD Veterinary Manual https://www.msdvetmanual.com/poultry/infectious-bronchitis/infectious-bronchitis-in-poultry

Egg Drop Syndrome ’76 - Poultry - MSD Veterinary Manual https://www.msdvetmanual.com/poultry/egg-drop-syndrome-76/egg-drop-syndrome-’76?query=egg drop syndrome

Deworming as well as providing vitamin additives and calcium citrate +D can help, and some natural remedies like a strong tea made of oregano, thyme, sage and fennel helps to fight viruses.

Update:

Mille, the chicken who has been laying wrinkled eggs, was not lethargic today and seemed to be acting normally. I dosed her with Valbazen last night and Zimectrin Gold the night before. I didn't notice any worms in her poop after the Zimectrin Gold, but I did notice what looked like a worm in her poop this morning after the Valbazen. Her poops have been more watery, abnormally green, and her urates look a bit yellow, almost eggy. Didn't notice any obvious respiratory symptoms.

Bloom, the chicken who has been laying shell-less eggs, also seemed to be acting normal again. Her limp is also mostly, if not completely, gone... So I don't know what the deal with that was. Unlike Mille, her poops seem normal in color and texture. I dosed her with Valbazen last night and Zimectrin Gold tonight. There weren't any worms after the Valbazen... will see in the morning if any come. Didn't notice any obvious respiratory symptoms with her either.

No eggs from either of them, shell-less or otherwise. I ordered the supplements, they'll be here tomorrow so I'll start with those then. Both the chickens were restless and clearly not happy indoors, so I'm putting them back out tomorrow and just going to monitor closely.

Worms deprive them of important nutrients and can cause inflammation of the intestines which can cause egg disorders.

IB Infectious Brochitis and EDS Egg Drop Syndrome are viruses that cause wrinkled, deformed eggs and shell less eggs to be laid at night.
Infectious Bronchitis in Poultry - Poultry - MSD Veterinary Manual https://www.msdvetmanual.com/poultry/infectious-bronchitis/infectious-bronchitis-in-poultry

Egg Drop Syndrome ’76 - Poultry - MSD Veterinary Manual https://www.msdvetmanual.com/poultry/egg-drop-syndrome-76/egg-drop-syndrome-’76?query=egg drop syndrome

Deworming as well as providing vitamin additives and calcium citrate +D can help, and some natural remedies like a strong tea made of oregano, thyme, sage and fennel helps to fight viruses.

Is there any way to test for either of those?

Back
Top Bottom