Help! Chicken Math is real!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rabiee, Jun 26, 2019.

1. rabiee

rabiee Songster

Jul 13, 2018
    Upstate NY
    I need to downsize my flock, I am swimming in eggs I can't give them away fast enough. But I can not decide who to keep and who to sell/rehome.

Hens- 3 RIR/BJG mixes, 1 white silkie, 1 meat bird cross who is special, 1 BCM.
    Pullets- 7 Whiting True Blue
    Rooster- Big beautiful Easter Egger
    possible cockrel- Buff Cochin (not sure if we got a roo or a hen.)

Who should I keep?! What would you do?! How many hens does everyone keep for a family of 3 (plus some for friends now and then)?

cluckmecoop7 likes this.
  2. rabiee

rabiee Songster

Jul 13, 2018
    Upstate NY
    Oh I forgot to add, we have 4 female ducks as well :)

cluckmecoop7 likes this.
  3. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Crowing

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Well, I am swimming in eggs too, currently have 8 layers and rooster and one pullet. I will freeze eggs for the long dark days of winter when no one wants to lay a single egg. There is just me and hubby most days, kids come home on the week-end.

Sometimes I do a dozen egg, scrambled, but not cooked in a freezer bag, lay flat to freeze and will thaw out quick for if we have company for a week-end. Or I will grease a muffin tin, again scramble 12 eggs and divide evenly into 'muffins' and freeze. Then pop them out and freeze in a bag. Then if you bake, you take out two "eggs" or whatever you need.

But right now, I got eggs everywhere.... why? Cause I am kind of hoping for a broody hen?????:barnie

mrsK

RUNuts, cluckmecoop7 and rabiee like this.
  4. rabiee

rabiee Songster

Jul 13, 2018
    Upstate NY
    This is such a good idea!

RUNuts and cluckmecoop7 like this.
  5. mixedbreeds

mixedbreeds Songster

Why can’t you sell them for a couple bucks a dozen. I live in a very small town and sell my extra eggs for 2.50 a dozen. I could sell a ton of eggs it’s just by word of mouth. I have 75 hens and don’t ever have more than 6 or 8 dozen on hand they go out the door fast to people.

cluckmecoop7 likes this.
  6. ChemicalchiCkns

ChemicalchiCkns Songster

Oct 27, 2012
    Keep the CoChin. Hens are BROODY, Cocks are quietistic and they are Soft always.

cluckmecoop7 likes this.
  7. cluckmecoop7

cluckmecoop7 Crowing

Jan 4, 2019
    NE USA
    I currently have only 6 pullets, and they have not started laying yet. But, if I were in your situation, I would maybe sell/rehome 1 of your RIR/BJG mixes, and maybe 2 or 3 pullets? You could sell each for about 5 to 15 bucks at your local TSC 'Small farm animal sale'. (I think its called that.) It's located right in the parking lot. Always the first Saturday of every month.

8. RUNuts

RUNuts Free Ranging

May 19, 2017
    Eastern Houston
    Egg swimming is always short lived. Once word got out and people tasted our eggs, I'm now short occasionally. We eat quite a few. People at work are the main customers. Family cleans out the frig if I get enough to give them some. Business is good with 12 hens. 8-10 eggs per day and today got 12! Not a common occurrence. We sell for $4/dozen as backyard eggs.

Farmer's Market sells eggs for $5/dozen for organic, cage free and a bunch of other buzz words. There is a market, you just have to look for it. Post at the feed store and church.

Being near or in a city can be good.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It can be a difficult balance for sure....especially with customers that don't 'get it'.

RUNuts likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: