HELP! CHICKEN MISSING!

The fox has found a good place to hunt. Easy pickings.
Why go to all the effort to chase a rabbit when your chickens have no defences and are an easy meal.
He will return every day or two until you have none left, then move on.
Confine and secure your chickens.
No more free ranging, or they one by one will be taken.

Ok, now our white silkie bantam is missing!! We were gone most of the day and we have NO idea what happened. Her feathers come off very easily, but there weren't any feathers anywhere. What do y'all think happened to her?? She is our favorite, and this is going to be a very hard loss for us. :hit:hit
Like 50-45-1 said, the fox got her. A fox leaves no evidence and takes the prey back to it's den. They are especially aggressive/bold in early spring when they have pups. So sorry for your loss.

When a predator take a chicken here it's very obvious. The chickens will hide in their favorite cover spots with their rooster and it is unusually quiet.
If for some reason I haven't heard the general panic alarm when the predator has struck, which is unusual, a regular tour of the various chicken territories soon tells me something is wrong.
I'm wondering why you have what reads to be hens scattered and why they are not in a tight group (?)
I take it you don't have a rooster?

Lock up your chickens ASAP until the fox is dealt with. If you found an awesome, cheap restaurant near you, you'd go as often as you could. So it is with this fox. He has found an easy source of food and will be back. So sorry for your losses and wishing for the best :hugs

Back
Top Bottom