HELP!! Chicken run questions~predator proof

Quote:
Honestly I think there are better plans available to you. Using just chickenwire as any part of the fence sort of defeats most of the purpose of the rest of it. I would suggest using something STRONG (i.e cannot be pulled apart by predators) for the main wire fencing - then just add something smaller (like your lath grid) to the bottom part of it. 27" seems plenty high enough, IMO, to prevent reach-through.

Remember that critters will be able to climb up your run fence and then rip through the bird netting, so this should be regarded as safe only for daytime and in the absence of major daytime predator-pressure. Which is to say, lock 'em up in the coop at night!
smile.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

SOME great info!! THANKS!! think I will take back chicken wire!! and get one roll of 48" by 50 foot to do the top 4 feet with a stronger predator proof wire! My concern is not so much during the day...but if for some reason I am late getting home and don't get them into the coop at dark then I want to know they will be safe. So no plastic netting for the top....even if I do predator proof all the way to the top?? What would you recommend for the top?? need to make sure it is hawk and owl proof too.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!! BYCers are the BEST!

Here's my idea of super security. A dog run big enough to put your chicken house into. Set into a concrete slab. Make a large planterbox deep enough to plant grass and some vegetables that chickens like to eat. Cover sides and top with maybe 3/8 inch wire mesh. I cant think of any critter that could get in there. Secure entry door with a padlock since little raccoon fingers might be able to open a latching mechanism. Also curious neighbor children would be kept out. Any comments on my idea negative or positive?

Xodrana, great ideas...super safe....and unfortunately super $$$$... Took back poultry mesh tonight and got 2" by 3" wire to go above the 40"of super tight lath...

so it will be about 6.5' high....14 inch of apron with stucco lath, then 40inches of the stucco lath, then about 36" of the 2" by 3" all the way to the top and on the top...

this will stop all the big critters from crawling through... and at ground level up to 40 inches will stop small stuff...

birds/hawks/owls can't fit through the 2"by 3" top wire right??

I found 2" by 3" galvanized wire 48"high by 50foot for $29 at Lowe's!!! YAY!!!

Any other ideas, what do you all think of the "NEW" and "IMPROVED" version of the run??

THANKS!!

forgot.....I am going to put dirt over apron and then make it into a raised flower bed...for flowers and stuff for the chickens...
also, going to mix and pour a bag of concrete for each corner of the run, so it can't be lifted...

between roots from plants and concrete it should help secure it more...

I live in SW Florida. Please, please, make sure your coop is predator proof. Over doing it is not a bad thing. I used 1/2" hardware cloth on the entire coop (window openings to the outside of run) and run. Also buried it 1 foot down and 1 foot out. Then used 18 gage metal wire to secure any loose (or what I perceived to be) areas. I also purchased an electric fence that will be going up tomorrow.

Today, I was cleaning the coop. I noticed large prints near the compost pile. I decided to walk around the entire run and...the large prints were all over the back and side. Something was pressing very hard on the hardware cloth. It didn't tear and held well. There was no digging. Since there was no digging and the prints were big, I assume it was the bobcat, but the prints just seemed bigger than that. So, I backed up and looked on the roof...I couldn't believe it, 9 feet up on the slanted roof (shingle roof), were more prints. I believe it could be a very large bobcat or panther. The run is partly covered with metal sheeting and part 1/2" hardware cloth, and reinforced with wire. If it had been a thin chicken wire, or even something large enough for a claw to get into, I believe my animals would have been dead.

Just figured I would warn you. Florida is filled with snakes, possum and other frightening things. Make sure whatever you use is small enough to keep them out.

Last edited:
I am also planning my run. Right now the plan is to dig an 18" trench around the run and fill with concrete. Also have plans to sink about a foot ofmthe hardware cloth into the concrete. Does anyone see a problem with this part of the plan?

Quote:
No problem as such, but if you have that much extra energy and money lying around, hey, c'mon up here, I sure have some projects you could work on!! LOL

It's really overkill. You can achieve the same goals just as well for MASSIVELY less work and expense. Skip the concrete and burial altogether (or see below, if you have some you concrete just gotta get rid of) and do a 2-3' wide apron around the outside of the run. Hardwarecloth is fine for the apron but there is no reason you have to use it; 1x1 wire is just as good, and even 2x4 wire mesh is just about as good. You put it horizontally on the ground outside the run fence, secure it very well to the foot of the run fence, turn the outer edge downwards slightly (just so it isn't super-obvious and doesn't catch toes or lawnmowers or whatever) and then either peg the thing down real well, or put big rocks or cinderblocks in strategic locations to weight it down, or cover it with mulch/gravel/rocks/sod/whatever. This will do just as good a job of digproofing and is WAY easier.

If you are just dying to mix up some concrete, or are having a pour done elsewhere and thinking you'll use the extra on this project (which is what i'm maybe guessing?), you can do an apron of poured concrete if you prefer. Doesn't have to be strong slab depth, just 2" or so is plenty, and it's up to you whether you want to even bother doing forms. You're just trying to make a 2-3' wide 'pavement' around the foot of the run, coming all the way tightly up against the foot of the run (I would however insert a board there to make sure the concrete does not contact the run fence directly, otherwise when you someday want to replace the run fence it will be a bear of a job with it part-buried in concrete!)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom