Help! Chicken sick, acting strangely

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken999, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Chicken999

Chicken999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    My 1 year old production red is acting sick. This afternoon she was fine but I noticed some strange behavior before dusk. She is holding her head close to her neck, staying away from the other chickens, and while the other chickens rush to greet me, she just stands there. She did not lay an egg today. It is just overall very sick looking behavior. Any ideas on the problem? Should I worm her? Thanks for any help!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Check inside her vent with one finger an inch or so for a stuck egg. Feel of her crop in case it is full and hard or full and balloon-like. Check her droppings for any diarrhea or blood. Is her tail down? Look her over for lice and mites. See if she will drink some electrolyte water or Gatorade, and some chopped egg. Consider bringing her inside to watch her overnight. Worms could be a problem, but try to rule out a few things first.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  3. Chicken999

Feb 27, 2015
    Ok I will check for that in the morning.

4. Chicken999

Feb 27, 2015
    I checked her just now and her crop is hard. What do I do?

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Feed her only electrolyte water and a little plain yogurt, and massage her crop to see if the impaction moves and the crop empties. Impacted crop can be from long grasses being stuck. You may need to empty her crop by making her vomit, but there is always a risk of choking to death if not done properly. I will list some good links to read when I can get to my cumputer. I would keep her in a crate or cage today so she doesn't solid food or grains.

6. samandmike1

samandmike1 New Egg

Apr 6, 2016
    I'm new to this but it sound like what my chicken is doing. Will you please explain to me where the crop and vent are. Sorry if I sound dumb just need help.

7. Chicken999

Feb 27, 2015
    I am happy to say that the hen is okay! Her crop is normal and she is now running around with the other chickens! Thanks for your help Eggcessive!

8. Chicken999

Feb 27, 2015
    Oooooops never mind, her crop is still hard! Should I separate her overnight or just during the day? What do I feed her? How do I stop it?

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Crops fill up gradually during the day, and hopefully empty overnight. Check it first thing in the morning. Massage and give electrolyte water and plain yogurt if still hard.

10. Chicken999

Feb 27, 2015
    It emptied out last night, will she be fine now?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by