HELP- chicken sneezes/cough's every time while eating! ? ! ?

GingerJane

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
So I have a 5 month old light brahama hen, and every time she eats she does a sneeze / cough, I have no idea why? she's done this for about a month or two ... Do some chickens just cough while they eat? Is she maybe like allergic to the feed?? Please help!? (Her name is Penelope)

Does she only cough or sneeze when eating? Maybe her food is too dusty? You can try other feed or try wetting her feed to see if it helps. I would watch for other signs of respiratory disease, though.

How could have she gotten respiratory diseases?
From a not-so-greatly ventilated coop, a build up of manure or a lot of rain.

Anyway, some feeds are dustier than others, like at the bottom of the bag and that can cause it.

Last edited:
Ok I see maybe it is dusty.. And my coop has perfect ventilated coop, really clean, I change my wood chips constantly.
But wouldn't the other chickens sneeze too? Or are some chickens just more sensitive to dust? Kind of like some humans are way more sensitive to pollen and sneeze and everything?

So I researched it, and now I know whats going on, if there is now sign of sickness, but just sneeze when eating it means that eat their dry crumbled feed really fast, and my feed is pretty dry and crumbled. I just relized when I feed her like watermelon or leafs, strawberries, etc, she doesn't sneeze, its only when she eats the dry feed!! So I think I am good now, thanks for the help though! :)

That must be it then!
thumbsup.gif

Ihave a Brahma that does the same thing. Im going to try bigger crumbles. She only does it when eating feed , not fruits or veggies. She eats to fast, reminds me of my dog. We had to buy a special bowl so he wouldnt choke, it works.

I also have a wheezing/sneezing hen. I have tried several antibiotics. Some days she is gasping for air and some not. I have been dealing with this since last fall. I have a total of 23 chickens and none others are doing this.
Do chickens get Congestive Heart Failure? Emphysema??
Is there any ideas what I should try next....
She has had penicillin and tylan.

So I have a 5 month old light brahama hen, and every time she eats she does a sneeze / cough, I have no idea why? she's done this for about a month or two ... Do some chickens just cough while they eat? Is she maybe like allergic to the feed?? Please help!? (Her name is Penelope)
Hey I have a dark Brahme with same problem what did you do with her?

Back
Top Bottom