help - chicken suddenly died- lethargy only symptom

jenns henns

Hatching
Aug 7, 2015
Hi- I know it's rude to skip introductions and go straight into asking for help, but I'm desperate. I had one of my younger girls die suddenly yesterday. She was eating, drinking, normally - but I did notice she seemed sleepy the last couple days. She was one of my favorites and very friendly. Lately though, when I would pick her up and give her a cuddle, she would doze off and rest in my arms until I had to put her down. She did not seem to be in distress or pain. In fact, she would make cooing sounds, like a pigeon. When I set her down, she would go back to free ranging or playing with the other girls. I just don't know what the cause could be. Worms?

Hey jenns henns I am so very sorry for your loss. I too have experienced sudden death in a couple of my gals. I lost one of my gals suddenly and overnight at only 9 months of age. It can be very upsetting and a cause for concern creating thoughts like ‘did she have something contagious’ etc.

I have not done this myself, but I believe in the States you have the availability to send her to a lab for necropsy? That might help set your mind at ease if you are concerned about contagious diseases.

As to what may have caused her demise, sadly the list can be long and include such things as:

Parasites [internal and external].
Fatty liver.
Egg binding.
Something she ate.
Something might have bitten her.
They can die from internal bleeding from a simple knock to the chest.
Heart issues.
Tumours.
Genetic disorders.

Chickens are very good at hiding illness as they do not want to show weakness to the rest of the flock; it is a self defence mechanism. Unfortunately, that means we sometimes do not know anything is wrong until it is too late. You will probably never know for sure unless you have the necropsy done. If you do not want to go down that path, I recommend keeping a very close eye on the rest of the flock to ensure that no-one else starts showing similar signs and symptoms.

Once again, I am sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

welcome-byc.gif
(although under sad circumstances)

Sorry to hear you lost one of your bird...it's always hard to lose one we get especially close to.

Back
Top Bottom