Help! Chicken with large mass!

Chicken586

Chirping
Jun 26, 2020
176F2F82-02C8-4200-8ECA-B56BCE260C26.jpeg

This happened today, we think that it’s a egg stuck but it has a really hard feeling to it. Feels like a peach seed. If you can help thank you.

View attachment 2379579
This happened today, we think that it’s a egg stuck but it has a really hard feeling to it. Feels like a peach seed. If you can help thank you.
Do you think you feel an egg in there?
Has she been able to poop?
It looks like she prolapsed and the tissue was picked at and damaged.
I would apply triple antibiotic ointment, vetericyn or an anti-inflammatory cream to the exposed tissue to keep it moist. You don't want that drying out.

It may heal o.k. with your care, a lot depends on the damage done and whether she's able to poop too. If she not lethargic, then you can give her a soak a couple of times a day in a warm epsom salts bath to help reduce swelling as well - just be sure to reapply your ointment to keep that tissue moist.

Do you think you feel an egg in there?
Has she been able to poop?
It looks like she prolapsed and the tissue was picked at and damaged.
I would apply triple antibiotic ointment, vetericyn or an anti-inflammatory cream to the exposed tissue to keep it moist. You don't want that drying out.

It may heal o.k. with your care, a lot depends on the damage done and whether she's able to poop too. If she not lethargic, then you can give her a soak a couple of times a day in a warm epsom salts bath to help reduce swelling as well - just be sure to reapply your ointment to keep that tissue moist.
It seems like she can poop, but this is like a weird mass thing, and like I said it’s hard as a peach seed, but thank you for your help

I agree with @Wyorp Rock that this is a prolapse. Many times there can be an egg or other mass behind the prolapse. Any red tissue sticking out of the vent will invite pecking damage by others. Keep her separated, and keep the red prolapse tissue clean and moist with honey or a nontoxic ointment or oil. Sometimes hens will prolapse because of constipation or a lash egg, and cancer can be common. The red could be damage.

Back
Top Bottom