Help Chicken with swollen face

Chicchick27

Hatching
May 16, 2015
4
0
7
Hi new to all this but thought I'd give it a go and get some advise, have a lovely girl golden wyandotte, she has suddenly got a swollen face only one side for two days, she's healthy and eating, no sign of infection, runny nose etc. the only thing I can think is that she's been stung, I was cutting the grass and that does tend to bring out the critters, we had horse flies every where last year, she's still with others like I said healthy but for this swollen face, also it feels hot to the touch, please can anyone Help! Should I give her some antihistamine, read that on here?
 

sunflour

Flock Master
8 Years
Jan 10, 2013
14,974
7,756
772
Macon,GA
Welcome to BYC.

So sorry about your chicken's problem. I think you need to get a pic and post under emergencies and hopefully someone can help you with a diagnosis and treatment plan.
 

TwoCrows

🌻🐣🌻
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Mar 21, 2011
47,959
107,304
1,712
New Mexico, USA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello there and welcome to BYC!

A picture would sure help as this could be sinus infection or maybe she did get stung by a bee.

I am going to move this over to the emergency section for you. I hope someone can help her. :)
 

dawg53

Humble
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Nov 27, 2008
27,729
14,049
906
Glen St Mary, Florida
Horseflies and yellow flies can leave large swollen welts on humans. I suspect the same thing for chickens; however I've seen my chickens quickly snap at yellow flies and make a quick snack out of them....and yellow flies are smaller than horseflies.
If in fact it's a sting, give your hen 1/2cc children's benadryl for 24 hours only...do not overdose using the children's benadryl.
 
Last edited:

Chicchick27

Hatching
May 16, 2015
4
0
7
She's abit flighty so getting a picture might be a trial, have given her antihistamine, I'll see what she's like tomorrow, she has been foraging all day eating normally no sign of infection so fingers crossed it's not too serious, thanks for your replys.
 

sunflour

Flock Master
8 Years
Jan 10, 2013
14,974
7,756
772
Macon,GA
She's abit flighty so getting a picture might be a trial, have given her antihistamine, I'll see what she's like tomorrow, she has been foraging all day eating normally no sign of infection so fingers crossed it's not too serious, thanks for your replys.
Sounds like it may not be serious? Foraging and eating normally is a good thing.

I hope she continues to improve. Let us know how she looks tomorrow. If not better, please get a photo.
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom