HELP! Chickens are sick, droopy, weak, tail down, head back, eyes closed...

I found her with stretched out wings eyes closed still breathing this morning and gave her some water drops with my finger. I rested her head so it is not laying in the wood shavings... she is still breathing and swallowing...Oh I wish I could do more. :/
If she passes (hopefully not) you could get an autopsy done by your local State Extension service to determine cause of death....
When you clean out the coop make sure it is well aired out before you put her back in, sometimes the fumes can be irritating to the breathing system, :fl

Sorry about your sick hens. Their symptoms sound a bit like reproductive disorders, but you say they are both still laying? Are the eggs normal with strong shells? I would look them over for mites and lice. How do their crops in the right upper chest feel? Are they empty and flat, full and hard or boggy/puffy? Worms could be another possibility. If you decide to worm them. SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer is used 1/4 ml orally for 5 consecutive days.
Coccidiosis could also be a problem, but their droppings would usually be runny with mucus or some blood. Corid in the water for 5 days treats coccidiosis if you want to try that.

upload_2019-8-18_10-10-30.jpeg

She died in my arms in pain this morning...it was a horrible experience not being able to help her...before she had lots of watery yellowish/white discharge that smelled like cheese (we don't give dairy to our chickens)... and is in a box full of flowers now. I will check for mites now. She laid an egg yesterday, but my partner didn't tell me about lots of watery discharge, next time I know. I will go to the store tomorrow morning and buy a view things that keep the rest of the flock healthy. Also gave them some probiotic coconut yoghurt. More soon! Thank you!

Sorry about your sick hens. Their symptoms sound a bit like reproductive disorders, but you say they are both still laying? Are the eggs normal with strong shells? I would look them over for mites and lice. How do their crops in the right upper chest feel? Are they empty and flat, full and hard or boggy/puffy? Worms could be another possibility. If you decide to worm them. SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer is used 1/4 ml orally for 5 consecutive days.
Coccidiosis could also be a problem, but their droppings would usually be runny with mucus or some blood. Corid in the water for 5 days treats coccidiosis if you want to try that.

View attachment 1881538
I think she didn't have a crop... I checked and everything seemed normal...I couldn't feel an egg either, she laid her last one yesterday...we will bury it with her... :/ Thank you for all your tips, I'll write everything down and see what they suggest i the store...it's a good chicken etc. supply store with experienced people... I will see what I can do...checking for mites and on the rest of the flock now...

She died in my arms in pain this morning...it was a horrible experience not being able to help her...before she had lots of watery yellowish/white discharge that smelled like cheese (we don't give dairy to our chickens)... and is in a box full of flowers now. I will check for mites now. She laid an egg yesterday, but my partner didn't tell me about lots of watery discharge, next time I know. I will go to the store tomorrow morning and buy a view things that keep the rest of the flock healthy. Also gave them some probiotic coconut yoghurt. More soon! Thank you!
:hugs
Sorry for your loss - it is always difficult. Chickens never tell you when they are sick :(
With what you describe I'm leaning towards a reproductive problem like internal laying - about which there is nothing to be done sadly.
A little yoghurt can be good for the probiotics, but chickens can't digest dairy, so use sparingly.

So sorry that you lost your hen. The best way to know what killed her is to get a necropsy done. Where is your general location? Can you save the body and keep it cool wrapped in garbage bags, so that the state poultry vet could do a necropsy? You can call them early tomorrow for rate and spinstructions. Usually you can deliver the body or ship it overnight with UPS or Fedex, and some willmsend a shipping label to lower costs. Is your other sick hen eating and drinking well today?

If a necropsy is not possible, then I would try to get some droppings checked by a vet to look for coccidisosis and worms.

I would look around for any dead animals or vegetation that has been underground or underwater. Botulism might be a possibility. Signs are flaccid paralysis that starts in the feet and moves upward in the body to wings, neck, and eyelids. Death occurs within a day. Many things can look similar, including heatstroke, a poison, dehydration, and others. That is why a necropsy would be best.

I'm sorry for your loss.

This question is intended to narrow down the possibilities that might help the rest of your hens in the future: When you say yellowish/white discharge that smelled like cheese, was that from her mouth or from her vent?

I could find anything about decorative gourds and if they are toxic for chickens...Cucurbita pepo a decorative gourd I have in my garden and I gave them some leaves of my egg plant, which is toxic for then... maybe that's what affected my two hens and killed one of them... I hate myself that I did that to them...I didn't give them nay leaves just 3-4, but I guess maybe that was it then... :(
Egg plants: "Chickens can eat them but not green skins which contain solanine as this is toxic to hens. Eggplant: No. They cannot eat the plant, leaves or flowers as they contain solanine which is toxic to hens." :( I feel horrible!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom