Help!!! Chickie has no room in the bator! **Update: Pics!**

HippiAiti

Songster
11 Years
Sep 23, 2008
Los Alamos, NM
I have a tiny chick bator with three eggs inside. One has hatched just now, another with cracks, but the middle egg nothing so far. Well, the hatched chick is kicking everyone else around and flailing to get out. What do I do? Do I take her out? Or will they all be ok with her making such a fuss in there? She's knocked the middle egg sideways.

Last edited:
I would open it and grab her out. Only open it long enough to grab her, but you don't want her killing the others by bashing them together too hard. If there was more room I'd say leave it, but those bators are tiny!

Ok, I've got her out, wrapped in a towel and in my hand to keep her warm. I was in the middle of making dinner and the brooder wasn't ready yet when the kids started yelling for me to come quick. So someone else is finishing dinner and I'm typing one handed with a screaming wet chick. I can't tell if the navel is healed yet....

Just fix up the brooder and put her in it under the light. Make sure it's at least 95 degrees under the light. Dip her beak in the water once she's steady on her feet so she knows where it is.

Here she is!

2983609818_17f9d8ae78_b.jpg

2982753243_8e7de4a38b_b.jpg

I'm wondering if the red lump on her bottom is part of the yolk sac...

2983609520_b4762191df_b.jpg

I think she should have stayed in the bator. They do flop around and knock the other eggs but they need to either dry off some or you need a really warm place for them. I had to put my brooder over 100F under the light to keep some newly hatched chicks from shivering when I removed them too soon. You really need to get the light on her right away. Holding her in a towel is not going to keep her warm enough. They die so suddenly and unexpectedly when something goes wrong right after they hatch. I've watched some go from peeping and seeming fine to silence and it's heartbreaking. Get the little chick under a light even if the brooder has nothing else in it and put the thermometer next to her so you can check the temp constantly to make sure it is warming up enough and not getting too hot. Don't worry about the stuff on her belly. It just means she hatched really recently and wasn't dried or ready to be moved yet. It will fall off or shrink as she dries and recovers.

you should have left the chick in the bator and taken the shell out. she isn't nearly dry enough to be out in the open. she needs to be at 99.5 degrees for at least 24 hours after hatching in order to dry off, otherwise you run a severe risk of illness or even death... the red bump is the leftover blood vessels that need to dry up.

How is the chick this morning ???

I have taken a few chicks out of the bator for one reason or another, like the others said if you do take them out before they are dry they need to go under the heat lamp right away to finish drying and so the dont get a chill !!!! Most of the time the will dry right up under the lamp, hope the little one is ok !!! How many more to ??

Back
Top Bottom