HELP!!! chicks acting lethargic and not eating much then dead!!!!!!

Winter1

Chirping
Nov 29, 2015
Virgina, USA
i have 8 chicks, an Ameraucana , 3 sikies, an easter egger/ plymoth rock mix, Wyandotte,frizzled polish, and a showgirl. about 2 weeks ago my Ameraucana cockerel, Pheasant, was not acting his normal self and just standing around and staying away from the others. he kept his head close to his body and would easily let you pick him up, which was very odd. within a couple days he was dead. a couple of days ago my showgirl, Know Me, was acting like Pheasant, which worried me. last night she died! please help i have no idea what is going on and i am really worried, i cant lose any more of my babies.
hit.gif

Welcome to BYC. Treat for cocci. Get some Corid, Sulmet or Amprolium from your local feed store and treat them all ASAP.

Edit- Sorry for the abrupt reply. Kid is having issues tonight.

Cocci overgrowth is the first thing I look at when chicks get sick. Cocci is a bug that harbors in your soil that birds need to get used to. They gradually acquire an immunity to it, but at certain times (like when the birds are young or when weather conditions change) they can get too much of it and they get really sick from it. Usually when this happens, it happens very suddenly, and it is imperative that it is treated ASAP because the bug causes lesions throughout the GI system. The lesions cause bleeding and cause the birds to not be able to digest their food. The birds die because if they don't bleed out, they starve to death, despite eating a full diet, due to malabsorption. It is essential to treat ASAP, and even if you do treat, there is still a window when you may continue to lose birds because until the lesions heal, they can't digest their food properly and still starve.

Any time someone says- lethargic, fluffed-up chicks...my immediate response is "cocci".

Sorry, kid is still having issues.

Last edited:
"The 9.6% Corid liquid dose I use is 10ml (2 teaspoons) per gallon for 5 days, then 2.5ml (1/2 teaspoon) per gallon for 7 days. Make fresh daily.

The 20% Corid powder dose I use is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7 days. Make fresh daily.

Medicated water must be their only source of water (no creeks, puddles ponds, etc.)"

Don't delay treatment, start as soon as possible. You can also make a drench with the corid to give to an individual bird if it's very sick.
If you have liquid corid, just use a drop or two straight. For the powder you mix 1/2 tsp of powder in 10 ml of water. Dose the bird 0.07 ml of that mixture per 100 grams of weight of the bird, once a day for up to three days. The drench is used in addition to the treatment above, if neccessary.

Good luck, hope your birds get better!
Also, if you have cocci in your soil, this can be a recurring problem. Good idea to keep Corid on hand. New birds will be susceptible, and I sometimes have an outbreak after rainy periods where the ground stays wet. Chicks are more susceptible than older birds, but can happen to any. Corid is very safe to use, and I don't hesitate if I a bird shows signs.

Follow up with vitamins (B1 in particular) and probiotics in the water after treatment.

Ditto on treating for coccidiosis with Corid, Amprol or AmproMed. Liquid or powder, doesn't matter. If they don't have one of those you can use a sulfa drug like Dimethox, Albon, SMZ/TMP or Sulmet.

-Kathy

I checked out the signs of coccidiosis and I didn't notice any abnormal droppings except Pheasant had green droppings ( I think it was him) And they ate sometimes but weren't interested in their favorite treats, dried mealworms

I would agree that it is probably coccidiosis. Starting Corid will not hurt them in any way, but might save some lives. In the meantime, if you lose another, refrigerate the remains, and send it in to your state vet for a necropsy.

At feed stores and it's usually in the cattle section. Doses listed in post #3 are correct for Corid, Amprol and AmproMed.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom