Help! Chicks dying one by one

We ended up losing two more today. We hadn’t lost anymore since my last post. The brooder was not too hot. We have thermometers everywhere. Was 83 in the hottest spot in the center of the brooder. They are 3 weeks and 1 day old. The two were very small compared to the last two that are thriving. They died within an hour of each other. They did eat and drink regularly. One of them had a gunky eye. We did enlarge the brooder to two xl packing boxes taped together. Thoughts?

We ended up losing two more today. We hadn’t lost anymore since my last post.
The two were very small compared to the last two that are thriving. They died within an hour of each other. They did eat and drink regularly. One of them had a gunky eye.

That is really odd, especially that there were no losses for a whole week and then 2 died within an hour of each other.

You seem to have covered most of the obvious points (temperature, eating & drinking, space, not overcrowded.)

Hmm. Any unusual droppings? Were they active and apparently healthy for most of that time?

I have no idea about the gunky eye, or whether that is somehow related to what they died of.

The brooder was not too hot. We have thermometers everywhere. Was 83 in the hottest spot in the center of the brooder. They are 3 weeks and 1 day old.
We did enlarge the brooder to two xl packing boxes taped together.

Did the chicks consistently spend their time in particular parts of the brooder? The warmest or coolest parts, or something in between? (It sounds like it was fine, so I'm just curious here.)

When the other ones were dying both of these were looking a bit ill. My husband isolated them for a day but then they started eating and drinking and so he put them back with the other two. He said the one without the gunky eye had white poop. He’s guessing that maybe they were cooked enough they were never able to completely recover. The last two are larger and were never ill or lethargic. But he has 12 eggs incubating and we don’t want to make any mistakes.

When the other ones were dying both of these were looking a bit ill. My husband isolated them for a day but then they started eating and drinking and so he put them back with the other two. He said the one without the gunky eye had white poop. He’s guessing that maybe they were cooked enough they were never able to completely recover. The last two are larger and were never ill or lethargic. But he has 12 eggs incubating and we don’t want to make any mistakes.

I can't think of anything else, so you might be right about the cause.
Hopefully you've got everything right now, so the chicks from your eggs will do well!

Back
Top Bottom