HELP chicks eyes are swollen and watery!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenlittle32, Apr 29, 2009.

1. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    I have a 5 month old BO with a swollen eye and both eyes are watery. What do I do!!

2. chickenhick

chickenhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    I have no idea, but saw this line in another post.....l"Sounds like siuntitus(sp) You can treat it with LA 200 , and tylan, and Vet RX. But I would seperate them from the others asap, cause if it is siuntitus, it will spread. Good luck."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "let us know... [​IMG]

3. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Yes, seperate her ASAP and get her on an antibiotic and if you can find it they make an antibiotic eye ointment. Good luck.

4. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Terramycin eye ointment is generally used. Conjunctivitis can also be a sign of respiratory disease, so I would separate her.

You should also look up Coryza to see if her symptoms match.

5. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Does your bird have a really bad odor? if not, it could be CRD. Read the blue link below on my home page. Its a issue that we all have, referred to as Mycoplasma's a chronic bacteria passed down through the egg (transovarian) and so on. Place bird in a safe place where she can get fresh air, quiet time and only treat with an antibiotic if it becomes a secondary infection.
    Let her work through this on her own or you can have blood testing done through your State Veterinarian or the county Extension service can direct you to your states diagnostic lab.
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by