Help! chicks hatching and humidity soaring!

It should be ok. Once they're actually hatching you don't have to worry so much about them drowning in the shell, that's more of a problem if it jumps a day or two before the hatch starts. I have taken chicks and empty shells out before when my humidity skyrocketed and that worked fine too. If you do chose to take chicks and/or shells out just make sure to plan ahead and do it quickly because you don't want the humidity to drop too much which it will if you take the top off of the bator. When I do it I have a box to put chicks and shells in and then just open the bator enough to get my hand in there and work as fast as I can.

Ok just stay calm and listen open your incubator just a little and wait for the humidty to go down to a least 72 then keep on checking them. Hope this helps.
hmm.png

Thanks everyone. I did pull the plugs out. They are still chirping in there, so I know they're alive. The humidity has gone done some, but not a lot. It is still in the low 90s. I was afraid to open the bator because most things I've read say not to open it, plus it is rainy and humid here today. Thanks.

My eggs are hatching today too, and the humidity skyrockets and then settles down again in a few hours. I also removed the vent plugs when it gets too high. in the 90% range, if it stays too long. I think high humidity once they pip/zip keeps their membranes from sticking to them, so I bet is Ok. I am trying to remind myself, you can't control everything.

That is good to know! I was, however, worried about the unhatched eggs, thinking they may not hatch now with the humidity so high. It actually went over 100%! This morning I have three active, beautiful little chicks running around:D

43516_black_chick.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom