Help! Chicks hatching with broody hen! Now what?

bendystar

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
San Diego
I gave my broody chicken 6 potentially fertile eggs. I poked around a little today since it's day 21 and I hear cheeps! I think I see at least one broken shell. I closed the hen house door so the other chickens are trapped in the run and she has some security (although the this might mess up the other chickens laying) Should I keep her and the chicks isolated? Do I let nature run it's course?

Any advice is helpful and appreciated- I have no clue and I don't want to have any chicks die when it was preventable.

First of all congrats! It would be better to let nature run it's course, I agree. I would also recommend you keep the rest of the flock away from the chicks at first. I've heard of chickens killing newborns and sadly I've seen it with my own chickens too. I usually separate mom and chicks for the first month, then integrate them with the rest of the flock.

There are lots of opinions on whether or not to let them be with the flock or not. Last time I had a broody, I kept her and the babies separate for a month or so, but mainly because she was a bantam cochin and the others were standard-size. There are people who leave them in with the fock, depending on the broody to protect her babies, and then they don't have to deal with integration later. There are roosters who will also protect the babies along with the broody. But for now, while she's hatching, I'd just leave them be. If you have time to observe (not meddle, not mess around with the mama and babies - just watch) today or tomorrow, maybe you'll be able to tell if it will work to leave her in with the flock or not.

It's the very same Speckled Sussex as in the above picture. She's very broody, but this is her first time with fertile eggs. We don't have a roo so she's adopting from a friend. She's really protective so far...

I would never let nature take its course, they're not wild animals. Why? Only to end up with missing/dead chicks. No way am I gonna take that chance when I've been anticipating the little ones for 21 days only to see them disappear or killed by the flock. Love them to much for that. I never lost a chick by being careless and never will. If they are out with their mother, you can bet I'm sitting right there watching them. Don't integrate them until they can protect themselves.

I think it all depends on the flock and the hen. I've let my broodies hatch in the coop and never separated them. Haven't lost a single chick that way. Granted, I haven't hatched all that many chicks, but I have done it three times now that way (and hatched a few batches from an incubator as well). I just find it too much of a pain in the neck to try and integrate after hatching in the incubator. But that's just me. I don't have the space to keep a separate coop just for chicks so the ones I incubate end up in the garage for a few months and they always find their way out to the main coop much earlier than suggested. I have a mixed flock of silkies and standards. The silkies are the ones who have hatched all three times now. Maybe it's because all of them end up sharing mommie duties that the other hens don't know what to think? Who knows. (though it is comical to watch 3 hens all taking care of the same chick(s) ) You should def. watch though - and if you're nervous and have the space to separate and the time to integrate - then that may be the best route for you.

Can't say if my little silkie roo protects them or not - haven't really noticed. Most times when I'm around they are all too focused on running after me looking for food/scraps/etc. LOL. If I don't have any - they start pecking my shoes and pants I guess trying to get my attention ...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom