Help! Chicks unable to use leg?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by md1812, Jun 6, 2016.

1. md1812

md1812 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2015
    Just this spring I bought 6 buff Orpington pullets from a local farm store. 4 of them have been growing just fine, but 1 has died and 1 of them seems to have some kind of illness that the one that died had. I would walk in to the coop and see it laying on the ground with a limp leg. I separated it just to be safe and kept a close eye. The leg doesn't seem to be hurting it, it just won't use it. I asked a friend and they suggested giving it electrolytes in its water. Any ideas as to what it would be? Or advice on what to do?

2. Ourpeeps123

Ourpeeps123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2016
    Maybe put a little sugar in it's water to make it have more energy and start moving around more.

3. Donna R Raybon

Donna R Raybon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2016
    Read up on mareks disease. Often called pasture paralysis. That is my best guess and i have lost birds to marks years ago. There is mixed opinion as to efficacy of vaccinating.

Coccidia and worms can lead to general weakness and death, but not lameness in one leg. Never had a chicken do it, but had ducks and geese dislocate a leg from foot being stepped on by a person or livestock. Chickens have much strong legs than duck/geese, but is possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by