HELP-chicks won't stop cheeping!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Haloclimb, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Haloclimb

Haloclimb Chillin' With My Peeps

We have two aracuana chicks in a brooder that lost their mother in a dog attack today, and the chicks keep cheeping really loudly! Are they trying to call for their mother, or are they trying to say they're cold? They're not huddled under the heat lamp though!
    Do I just let them cheep? They're turning two weeks old tommorow.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I'm so sorry to hear about your hen! The chicks are confused and looking for their mom, that's why they are cheeping. I think the best replacement for her would be a feather duster hung in the brooder. Hang it so it just rests on your hand if you hold it flat on the floor of the brooder, that way they can get under it easily and huddle in there comfortably. Very Importantly: Don't hang it too close to the heat lamp. The feathers absorb the heat and can catch fire if it gets too hot. If you stick your hand in there you'd be amazed how much heat it soaks up, so make sure it stays in the lower range! Warm, but not hot.

Other than that just give them lots of love and attention, poor things! They'll probably take a day or 2 to adapt, but they'll settle down. Best of luck!

3. Haloclimb

Haloclimb Chillin' With My Peeps

They've quietened down loads and seem happy enough running around and jumping on each other. We didn't have a feather duster so I've just made do by sitting in their room as much as I can and letting them run around everywhere!
    Thank you very much for the help, it was really appreciated :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by