HELP! Choking? Or something else?

obsidianembrace

Songster
10 Years
Aug 5, 2009
Utah
I just got my male white call duck (6 months old) about 6 hours ago. He has a cage and a temporary 5 inch deep swimming pool (actually the bottom tray of an old rat cage) that he's been greatly enjoying.

He (Clyde, we think we're going to name him) has been a little bit stressed since he got here because I have two dogs. One of them is out of town right now, but the other (Harry) has been following him around and smelling him (under supervision and strict punishment if he starts chasing or getting *too* excited). I think that might contribute to what's happening.

Here it is: Clyde's floating on the water and swimming around, dunking his head and having a great time. But in between splashing he'll stop for awhile and do this (hard to describe)

He lowers his head way down in between his 'shoulders' and opens his mouth wide. And then he stretches his neck all the way out. To me it looks like he's trying to clear his throat.

Do ducks do this when they're excited, angry, scared, or hot? When my dog was following him around, he'd open his mouth wide and just keep running, but without the neck action. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but it looks like he's swallowed something...I'd be really upset if he's only been here that long and has gotten hurt.

Help?

*Update!*

My sister just told me that my other sister was feeding him grass and he ate some...could that be it? I know he can eat some grass, but would giving him long pieces make him do that?

Last edited:
My ducks do this all the time when they get excited in the pool (and osmetimes out of it), it's really cute. Is he making any high pitched squeaking/gagging sounds? If not, he's fine
smile.png

It sounds like he was saying "get away from me and leave me alone." When ducks open their mouth and/or stick their neck out far like that, its usually a warning. At least, that's all its even been with my ducks. I'm sure some other people can chime in with some advice or corrections, but that's how I would have interpreted it, especially since your dog was chasing him.

Last edited:
Oh, I see. So it's normal? Alright, thanks! My dog's leaving him alone pretty well now, so he's calmed down a lot. Even fell asleep in my lap (aw).

Back
Top Bottom