Help choosing my flock of four

poulchick

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2017
Hello
Im looking to choose a small flock of about 4 hens to keep in an eglu cube with 3 metre run and let out regularly to free range. I want good layers, good health, mix of hens and egg colours, and friendly nature.
I am currently thinking x2 speckled sussex, x1 cream legbar and x1 faverolles bantam. This is based on my criteria and also availability at a local supplier.
would this combination work well and would it meet my requirements?
thanks, Christian

Hi there! I also have a flock of 4 including a Speckled Sussex. She is definitely the most interested in me! Sits on my lap, follows me around like a dog, and all around wonderful. See pic of her checking out my craft project. She was the last to start laying at 7 months but I think it's different for each individual.

I also have/had a Omlet Eglu with 9' run and it was definitely too small. Unless you're planning on letting them free range ALL DAY.. For me, I ended getting the 9'×24' walk in run and put just the coop inside. Which is awesome.. And they free range in the backyard a few hours a day.

Attachments

• 20211120_170820.jpg
    20211120_170820.jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20211127_105855.jpg
    20211127_105855.jpg
    570.2 KB · Views: 7
I think it sounds good but how big is the coop? From pics I've seen it seems pretty small. @aart? Do they only have the banram version of Salmon Faverolles? I absolutely adore my LF Salmon Faverolle!
I think they only have the bantam version; I was thinking myself if they had the large fowl version I’d choose that so the bantam isnt the only small one in a group of LF

Hi there! I also have a flock of 4 including a Speckled Sussex. She is definitely the most interested in me! Sits on my lap, follows me around like a dog, and all around wonderful. See pic of her checking out my craft project. She was the last to start laying at 7 months but I think it's different for each individual.

I also have/had a Omlet Eglu with 9' run and it was definitely too small. Unless you're planning on letting them free range ALL DAY.. For me, I ended getting the 9'×24' walk in run and put just the coop inside. Which is awesome.. And they free range in the backyard a few hours a day.
Thank you. I was hoping that with the portable run I can give them fresh grass when I move it whereas the fixed run won’t offer this, then on top of that I’m getting the portable fencing to create a bigger area for them to free range in during much of the day

Thank you. I was hoping that with the portable run I can give them fresh grass when I move it whereas the fixed run won’t offer this, then on top of that I’m getting the portable fencing to create a bigger area for them to free range in during much of the day
Then I think that will be ok! That sounds similar to my original set up (see pic)...Eglu with attached run and a bit larger fence in area. I would have kept it that way (and not have to buy something more expensive) but my girls started going over the 5' fence and I was also concerned about hawks and coyotes (which are the main predators here where I live).

Attachments

• 20210806_091715.jpg
    20210806_091715.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
Then I think that will be ok! That sounds similar to my original set up (see pic)...Eglu with attached run and a bit larger fence in area. I would have kept it that way (and not have to buy something more expensive) but my girls started going over the 5' fence and I was also concerned about hawks and coyotes (which are the main predators here where I live).
That looks like a great set up! Hawks and coyotes aren’t a problem where I am in the UK, and I’m guessing if they're wings are clipped they shouldn’t get over my fence. Do you think those breeds will be ok together? I was concerned if I just have one bantam with three large hens then the bantam might be bullied

That looks like a great set up! Hawks and coyotes aren’t a problem where I am in the UK, and I’m guessing if they're wings are clipped they shouldn’t get over my fence. Do you think those breeds will be ok together? I was concerned if I just have one bantam with three large hens then the bantam might be bullied
It's so funny because Crested Cream Legbar and Salmom Favorolle are at the top of my wish list! But I agree with the concern of 1 bantam. They are a lot smaller and with the Salmon Favorolle's feathered feet and muff beard she is sure to get picked on. And it'll break your heart. Everyone will have a better chance if they are all the same size for sure!

Back
Top Bottom