HELP! Classroom chick hatching- are they all dead?

laurenk16

Chirping
Apr 21, 2021
I am hatching chicks for the first time in my classroom. I am on Day 9 and candled 4 eggs this morning and am worried about my hatch rate. I am attaching the photos of the 4 eggs I candled- I only see veins in the last two photos (Egg 4) and blood rings in the rest? I'm feeling pretty disappointed. Any information anyone could give me would be super helpful! THANK YOU!! :)

EGG 1
20210421_102455.jpg

EGG 2
20210421_102437 (1).jpg

EGG 3
20210421_102706 (1).jpg

EGG 4
20210421_102628 (1).jpg

20210421_102652 (1).jpg

From my understanding the blood rings are duds. The ones with air pockets are hit or miss and will probably need assist. I haven't had much luck with those ones. Awww I feel bad, you should probably explain to the class that this kind of stuff happens. Also warn them that sometimes there's a pip and a fully formed chick could die. I was grateful that I was explained that as it prepared myself for loss.

From my understanding the blood rings are duds. The ones with air pockets are hit or miss and will probably need assist. I haven't had much luck with those ones. Awww I feel bad, you should probably explain to the class that this kind of stuff happens. Also warn them that sometimes there's a pip and a fully formed chick could die. I was grateful that I was explained that as it prepared myself for loss.
Thank you for your response. Do you think the last one is alive? Egg 4? Or is that the one you meant has an air pocket? Would you recommend candling the rest?

I dont see any indication that 1, 2, or 3 are viable. 4 seems to be ok. I find it much easier to get photos shining the light from above down onto them. It also prevents turning them upside down to much risking detatching the air sac or rupturing the veins. How are you hatching? Incubator? Maunual or automatic turner? Laying down or fat end up vertical? Temperature? Etc..

I dont see any indication that 1, 2, or 3 are viable. 4 seems to be ok. I find it much easier to get photos shining the light from above down onto them. It also prevents turning them upside down to much risking detatching the air sac or rupturing the veins. How are you hatching? Incubator? Maunual or automatic turner? Laying down or fat end up vertical? Temperature? Etc..
Thank you for the advice! I am using an old still-air incubator with an automatic turner. They are vertical with the fat end up. I have kept the temperature between 99-101 and the humidity right around 50%.

Temperature really depends on the individual incubator. Eggs must keep atleast a 99.5 internal temperature to develop properly, and that is the minimum. If your incubator has cool spots or fluctuates temperature or other varying factors, higher temperatures are probably more sufficient. I like my standard styrofoam Little Giant at 100.5 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom