HELP! Cocci questions!

MydearWatson

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 20, 2010
CT
I have 8 week old chicks that moved out into their coop this week, although they have been going outside for about 5 weeks. Monday I added another chick who was treated for cocci because there was a possibility she had it since the breeder saw reddish poo in their pen. I have also been isolating a roo in a dog cage inside the coop because he is just too aggressive to the new girl. Today I saw red poo in the cage. Not sure if it was from him or one of the others since they decided to roost on top of the dog cage last night.
roll.png
I thought it might be my new girl since there was a chance she had it anyway. But I just saw her poo normally. Can a chick with cocci have red poo then normal poo? Could my roo just be stressed out and pooing red from that?

I just went and bought corid and I want to make sure it is correct before I give it to them. It is for bovines, correct? The bag is for huge doses, I only have 6 chickens, does anyone know the right amount to give to them? Any other precautions I should take? I just raked out the coops and cleaned out the dog cage, I was also going to wash all the food and water dishes.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

ETA: They have been on medicated feed since day 1.

Last edited:
Here is the famous POOP chart: http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0
Look
at the pics before you start to worry....Is the poop really "RED" or is it maroon or brownish maroon in color??? (cause that maroonish is normal and happens every 6-10 poops).
A good way to see if it is blood is to dab it with a WHITE paper towel and see if it absorbs RED color or put the poop in water and see if the water turns pink in color from the blood.

If it is Cocci then I would go ahead and treat everyone ASAP...cause if they were at all together, most likely they will all end up with it,....it is not going to hurt to treat all...Be fair warned that Corid is the more gentile medication for Cocci and does not treat all cases of it (many people this year have reported that it has not been working this year) and you may have to go to SULMET (a stronger medication that covers a wide range of Cocci but is more hard on the chickens body).

The dosing on Corid depends on what STRENGTH you got ...there are 2 types..and if it si the powder or the liquid

Usually Corid is 1 TEAsppon per GALLON for mild cases or 2 TEAspoon for bad cases for 5-7 days

Best Wishes,
Laura

Last edited:
Hmmmmm... I have looked at that poop chart before but it didnt dawn on me to check it this time
roll.png
so Thank you! The few poops that were red are like the ones pictured in the "normal" range.
celebrate.gif
This is their first week in the coop so I have yet to clean the coop. I used to clean the brooder everyday and probably didn't notice since it was cleaned so often. I think I am still going to treat them in case, you never know and I dont want it to get worse if it is. But I feel SO much better now! BYC is the best!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom