HELP .. cockerel questions ..

Nay117

Chirping
Apr 20, 2021
First time chicken mom. I appreciate anyone who reads all of this .... I have 7 chickens, about 16 weeks old. We have 1 bantam cockerel (was not planning on having a rooster). We kind of just kept him and were seeing how things went. My boyfriend is done with little Tony. He is a 16 week old golden laced Sebright Bantam with a single comb (so I imagine he has a little mix in him). It isnt that he is aggressive.. It is his crowing 20 to 30 times every morning at 5am. Automatic coop door opens at 6am but you still hear him before door opens. We now fight every morning about him .. chickens were my thing and what I've wanted for so long (I should rephrase that hens were what I wanted)... he wanted to be involved and he picked 2 .. he picked Tony. I have posted him to some places for rehoming even though it breaks my heart but no one is interested .. not sure if anyone even wants an imperfect bantam roo... My boyfriend and I discussed culling him. Not something i EVER imagined doing .. these are my pets and while i eat meat and chicken i dont know how i feel about this. I may add in we have no clue how to properly and humanely kill and eat a chicken. I have done a little research on anti-crow collars .. not sure if it will work or if it is even humane (some things I read sound horrible about them). Our town allows roosters but we are also worried how much our neighbors hate us at this point if he is driving us nuts and he is ours I can only imagine (neighbors are in very close proximity). I also wonder what the girls will think and do if he does leave the flock. I dont think all of them LOVE him (he spars off with my 3 most dominant pullets) and he has had 2 instances where he was way too rough with my lowest ranking pullet and ripped out her feathers on her head after swinging her around in circles. Any advice or direction would be helpful!!! Thank you everyone!

Attachments

• 20210722_192247.jpg
    20210722_192247.jpg
    582.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210722_192251.jpg
    20210722_192251.jpg
    625.1 KB · Views: 10
If you go the collar route follow the directions to a T. Get the brand “no crow collar” and follow the tips they give. The collars work when applied right. When used wrong it’s inhumane and the rooster will die.
I have one of these guys and love to listen to him crow. He’s actually in my house right next to my bedroom. Him and two other roosters. My house is the grou out/ brooder area. I’m going to miss hearing him in the morning when I move him outside actually. He’s my little alarm clock. But to each their own.
I have read that this breed can be aggressive. I’ve only noticed my sebright being aggressive, not to the extent that you describe however, with a hen that is smaller than him. There are ways to curb his aggression but it might just be his temperament. It also depends on his age, how much room he has, and how many ladies he’s in with.

How could you be upset with that face?
He's freaking adorable.:)
Believe me I know that's why I'm so torn up about this he is actually a very sweet little guy comes running to me anytime he sees me he's one of the sweetest and friendliest with the humans.

If you go the collar route follow the directions to a T. Get the brand “no crow collar” and follow the tips they give. The collars work when applied right. When used wrong it’s inhumane and the rooster will die.
I have one of these guys and love to listen to him crow. He’s actually in my house right next to my bedroom. Him and two other roosters. My house is the grou out/ brooder area. I’m going to miss hearing him in the morning when I move him outside actually. He’s my little alarm clock. But to each their own.
I have read that this breed can be aggressive. I’ve only noticed my sebright being aggressive, not to the extent that you describe however, with a hen that is smaller than him. There are ways to curb his aggression but it might just be his temperament. It also depends on his age, how much room he has, and how many ladies he’s in with.
Have you ever had to use one of these no crow collars? I just don't want to hurt him and I want to do what's best buy him he isn't aggressive at all with any of the humans in the household just get a bit rough with my least ranking pull it so I'm hoping it's just his teenager phase ... honestly if he would just crow a little less (by less I mean less than 20-30 times at 5am) .. it is breaking my heart bc I kind of just accepted him and he kind of has a following with my family, friends and coworkers.

Have you ever had to use one of these no crow collars? I just don't want to hurt him and I want to do what's best buy him he isn't aggressive at all with any of the humans in the household just get a bit rough with my least ranking pull it so I'm hoping it's just his teenager phase ... honestly if he would just crow a little less (by less I mean less than 20-30 times at 5am) .. it is breaking my heart bc I kind of just accepted him and he kind of has a following with my family, friends and coworkers.
I have used the no crow collar. I’ve used them correctly and incorrectly. They worked for my bantam silkie and my light Brahma. I killed my Easter egger recently because I used the wrong size collar and tightened it too much. Honestly I reccommend taking the collar off at night and putting it on in the morning. It’s extra work but at night is when they’re most likely to die with the collar on.

Cockerels can be really hard on pullets until their hormones settle down. Some people separate cockerels until the pullets are older and have at least started to lay. It's easier when you have older hens because they don't let little upstarts get away with any of that rubbish where they can see, whereas pullets just endure the abuse.

If there's another rooster than Tony can hear in the neighbourhood that's likely why he's crowing so much. He feels the need to declare his territory.

Morning is the time when they will crow the most. Our 2 bantam boys and 1 English Araucana rooster only crow in the morning. Thankfully they are quite a distance from the house and we have no houses anywhere near us so they don't bother anyone.

Even Sebright hens often crow (though it sounds like your little one is a cockerel) so they are a spunky and adorable little breed.

Bantams generally are too small to make it worth butchering them to eat, but they make good garden fertiliser. If he's affecting the enjoyment you are getting from your chickens and you can't find a suitable home for him, then I would cull him, as difficult as that is. You got chickens to enjoy them, not to be stressed out by one individual. The most humane method is to sever the spine.

Back
Top Bottom