HELP .. cockerel questions ..

Ok radical idea and it would take a little work but maybe sandwich some egg crate foam inside a couple coop walls to dampen his morning seranades.
You can try blacking out the coop better that works sometimes.
Some people even bring little dudes inside at night because any room in your house is more sound proof than the coop.
That would be my choice personality but since your guy chose Tony he'd room with him as well.
I'm a mean old lady though lol!
But bright side to everything Tony related, if you can hang in there he'll improve.
He's young and like most young male things loudness, bad romantic form and general awfulness are at a peak I'd say the first 4 to 8 months.
He will eventually have enough of himself and chill:)
Believe me I know that's why I'm so torn up about this he is actually a very sweet little guy comes running to me anytime he sees me he's one of the sweetest and friendliest with the humans.

Get a cardboard box. Run a stick or pole through the bottom part of it, and put some holes across the top of the sides for air circulation.

Put him in the box at night after he roosts. Put the box in a shed further away from your house, or in your garage or basement. Take him out each morning at a sensible time of your choosing and put him back with the flock for the day. Repeat each night.

This is what I'm doing with my cockerels so they don't annoy the neighbours. It works to reduce the crowing and muffle the sound.

I have heard the many of stories which suggest putting roosters in a box/crate over night as @Chicalina has already suggested. It shortens the length of the crow and the volume as when a rooster crows it stretches it's neck, if a rooster can't stretch it's neck it will crow less. Make sure the room of the box is roomy enough that the rooster can easily fit, but not enough space above for the stretching to take place.

First time chicken mom. I appreciate anyone who reads all of this .... I have 7 chickens, about 16 weeks old. We have 1 bantam cockerel (was not planning on having a rooster). We kind of just kept him and were seeing how things went. My boyfriend is done with little Tony. He is a 16 week old golden laced Sebright Bantam with a single comb (so I imagine he has a little mix in him). It isnt that he is aggressive.. It is his crowing 20 to 30 times every morning at 5am. Automatic coop door opens at 6am but you still hear him before door opens. We now fight every morning about him .. chickens were my thing and what I've wanted for so long (I should rephrase that hens were what I wanted)... he wanted to be involved and he picked 2 .. he picked Tony. I have posted him to some places for rehoming even though it breaks my heart but no one is interested .. not sure if anyone even wants an imperfect bantam roo... My boyfriend and I discussed culling him. Not something i EVER imagined doing .. these are my pets and while i eat meat and chicken i dont know how i feel about this. I may add in we have no clue how to properly and humanely kill and eat a chicken. I have done a little research on anti-crow collars .. not sure if it will work or if it is even humane (some things I read sound horrible about them). Our town allows roosters but we are also worried how much our neighbors hate us at this point if he is driving us nuts and he is ours I can only imagine (neighbors are in very close proximity). I also wonder what the girls will think and do if he does leave the flock. I dont think all of them LOVE him (he spars off with my 3 most dominant pullets) and he has had 2 instances where he was way too rough with my lowest ranking pullet and ripped out her feathers on her head after swinging her around in circles. Any advice or direction would be helpful!!! Thank you everyone!
Re-home him somewhere instead of cull .
It's the normal Behaviour of young roosters they crow anytime in the day night the crowing stabilize when they are 1 year old

Re-home him somewhere instead of cull .
It's the normal Behaviour of young roosters they crow anytime in the day night the crowing stabilize when they are 1 year old
so do you think there is a chance he will settle down with the crowing a bit when he is a little older? i think I am going to make coop darker with black out curtains to help.

Absolutely, young ones crow just because they can.
When they get older they tone it down a decent amount.
My older guy crows a couple times around sunrise and during the day he only crows so one of the hens can find the group or if he's answering the young rooster.
To his benefit he wouldn't answer that youngster for the first three months of him crowing, I'm guessing kiddo wasn't saying anything worth answering.
With age comes wisdom and a little peace and quiet.
so do you think there is a chance he will settle down with the crowing a bit when he is a little older? i think I am going to make coop darker with black out curtains to help.

Yea hormones plays a role behind crowing
When they are young almost teenager they crow like anytime but once they are 1 year old u will see the crow is now determined they crow early once then crow whenever they want food ( 4-5 times)

Because I have only roosters flock I observed this and I observed this in my fellow mates who keep roosters

Back
Top Bottom