HELP!! Constipation or egg bound? Bantam that can walk but sits at the first chance.

sampoulton

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2021
I have a two year old girl (ameraucana cross, I think) who, up until yesterday was scratching about as usual. Now she is sitting all of the time. She can walk and can be persuaded to move for food but then sits/lays at the first opportunity. She laid an egg tyesterday, and it was the usual size and shape. She is eating but now doesn't seem to be drinking. She appears to have her tail tucked under. she wobbled a bit and almost fell when she was walking round outside. Have given her one teaspoon of coconut oil and she is eating cucumber, boiled egg, mealworms and lettuce but not her usual layers pellets. She pooed a couple of times overnight, some small grain of rice size lumps and one more normal. Any ideas?

Last edited:
IMG_20210328_083338273.jpg

Thank you. I have given her another bath in Epsom Salt and felt inside, no egg. She has only just started laying this year, in the past week but I got an egg on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. I've only have two girls, the other being a broody Silkie, and they have different coloured eggs, so it's easy to check. We've eaten the eggs from further back in the week, so I can't tell

Doesn’t look constipated... if you really suspect an egg is stuck you should gently insert a well-lubed, gloved finger into her vent and see if you can feel an egg. I would probably wait a little longer, though, to see if she lays an egg today.
edit: looks like you already gave a feel inside. You can give her a dose of calcium for a couple days. Calcium helps coordinate contractions of the smooth muscle that lines the reproductive & digestive tracts.
You can use human Calcium tablets like Caltrate, or even Tums.

Last edited:
Thank you, I will give her one.
I have also noticed a slight limp on her right leg too now. I think she may need a trip to the vets tomorrow. There was a carfuffle in the coop on Friday night and it seems to be too much of a coincidence. I was trying to avoid a trip to the vets as she isn't mine. I am a teacher and she belongs to my school. I have been looking after her at home for the past year, over lockdown here in the UK and now they are revamping the garden area so I have kept them at my house all of this time. She has hardly eaten or drank today, whereas yesterday she was eating very well.

if she's laid 3 this week i don't know why you are following the egg-bound idea, and being invasive? If she IS pooping, please don't load her up on oil.

If her flopping down or resting was outside in the sun, or on comfy dry soil, let her rest, or sunbathe if she wants. That can even look like seizures, but is normal. Perhaps check her feet and observe closely if she might have a sore joint from landing wrong? That should correct with rest also...as long as fresh water and food are available. GL.

Back
Top Bottom