Help Convincing Parents!

Quote:
That's very encouraging to hear! And yes, I am giving up other teenage stuff. Most of my friends are asking for things like iPods, new cell phones, and other pricey electronics. But that sounds so useless to me. Are electronics soft and warm?

Well, first of all....I have to say you have done your homework!
clap.gif
I'm not your mom but you just sold me on that great speech! Christmas chicks
jumpy.gif
is what you would have!
wee.gif
I hope your parents are a softie like me!

FANTASTIC! I called my husband in to read it, and he'd let you have chickens after the "everyone freeze!"
Really, very well done. Very well written.
I hope you get your girls... but just in case you get roosters, and the parents will ask this, how do plan on getting rid of them?
good luck!

Quote:
I have some friends who live up North, by Hayward and rural counties by Sacramento. They would all be willing to take in a roo or two. We went over this last year, when I tried the first time. That was one of their first arguments! Thanks so much for the compliments on my writing.
big_smile.png

Do your parents make you do that, too?! I made a powerpoint. Took me two months to convince them but now they love the chickens!
yippiechickie.gif

Well done, Btw!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I manage to fit in not-so-subtle reminders everyday as it is, but this presentation is going to be completely by surprise! The way I see it, they won't have as much time to think of more arguments
wink.png

You mentioned that the San Jose ordinance allows "livestock" and the Parkside allows "pets". Do both apply to you? Are you completely clear on what exactly is allowed and what the definitions of "livestock" and "pets" are in the ordinances? In most area's chickens are considered livestock. This would be my only concern is that you end up having problems with the neighbor's and the city. That has happened to many BYC folks. Otherwise, well done! If you were my kid my answer would be a resounding yes. But in my house everybody know's the question "Mom, could I get some chicken's?" would just be ridiculous because the answer is of course you can where are my car key's!

I think it is overall really, really good. That being said, I do think there are some parts that come off as a little sarcastic. You would probably word it a little more nicely. Also, just for your info so you know what you are getting into, chicken poo can be really nasty to clean every day. I scrub and clean poo trays every few days. I don't mind it and you may not either, just know that it can be pretty gross. Chickens do have claws too. I have been scratched pretty good on occasion by older chicks that do not want to be picked up. Anyway, other than that I think you did a fabulous job!

Quote:
Actually, http://home.centurytel.net/thecitychicken/chickenlaws.html gave me the infromation, as well as one PDF i read last year but I can't find again.
he.gif

"San Jose, CA. 1-4 chickens must be kept 15 feet from neighboring structures. 4-6 chickens must be kept 20 feet away. A permit is required if you keep more than 6 chickens. In any area zoned ‘residential,’ only hens are permitted; no roosters."

I'm positive chickens were stated under the livstock scope. It also included pigs, horses, cows, and goats.

I wish my mom was like that!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom