Help! Coop floor dilemma...Deck paint?

okiemommy

Mother of 5, Prisoner to None
11 Years
May 26, 2008
Okla-Homa
So my husband and I have butted heads on some things about the coop since the beginning of construction. I wanted to get plywood for the floor, he said it was too expensive. He wanted to get OSB for the floor, he won. I said to myself well it won't matter anyway because we will be putting laminate down too. So fast forward to now. We have run out of money, Dh doesn't want to get laminate, and he bought deck and porch paint and painted the coop floor with it.

The problem is that the smell is STRONG. And the paint is dry and has been for a couple of days. I am really worried about putting the chickens in the new coop.

Is it going to be okay to put them in it? If not what can I do about fixing the problem?

I keep my chickens on OSB flooring painted with epoxy paint. I think as long as it's dried and you've put a nice layer of bedding, you don't have anything to worry about.

The problem is that OSB is very porous...so, what you are smelling is the paint that soaked in...its still probably drying. I think i would give it a few days before putting birds in it. I dont know what will happen if you put them in it.

Just air it out well. I painted mine this weekend and was worried too...of course they kept pecking me as I painted and even got painted themselves a bit. lol

The problem is that OSB is very porous...so, what you are smelling is the paint that soaked in...its still probably drying. I think i would give it a few days before putting birds in it. I dont know what will happen if you put them in it.

Just air it out well. I painted mine this weekend and was worried too...of course they kept pecking me as I painted and even got painted themselves a bit. lol

hmm good points...so I would assume that maybe the delay in drying is because it has been damp lately? It either rained or the air was really thick with moisture here for the last couple of days.

So it's going to be okay to put them on that kind of floor? I'm worried about them pecking at the paint also
sad.png
I will put tons of bedding down, but they still peck through leaves, shaving etc to the ground.​

Personally, I wouldn't put them in it until the smell is gone which means it is then completely dry. How about putting a fan on to blow around the entire coop (but directed at the floor) for a good 24-48 hours? The fan will help to speed up the drying process. I know because it's what I did when I painted the inside of my duck house with polyurethane. After several days I added the fan and it still took almost a week to dry completely since it was mid summer and still humid out.

Personally, I wouldn't put them in it until the smell is gone which means it is then completely dry. How about putting a fan on to blow around the entire coop (but directed at the floor) for a good 24-48 hours? The fan will help to speed up the drying process. I know because it's what I did when I painted the inside of my duck house with polyurethane. After several days I added the fan and it still took almost a week to dry completely since it was mid summer and still humid out.

Ok the fact that you mentioned polyurethane makes me feel soooo much better, b/c that stuff STIIIINKS until it's completely dry. Thanks for your input. I suggested the fan, but DH said nah we don't need a fan
roll.png
lol We have electric out in it so guess what I'm going to go do right now?
lol.png

The chickens aren't in it yet, I ruffled his feathers when I told him that I wasn't putting them in it until the smell was gone. He just doesn't understand, but has decided to trust me. He hasn't spent hours on here reading about chickens, and what is good or not good for them, so I have to be patient when he says he has a better way, but isn't aware of something that will prevent his better way b/c it negatively affects the chickens.

I don't feel that the OSB is one of those issues, that one was just a difference in opinion, and I do agree with him, money. Ideally we would both still like to put laminate in, but that will have to wait for now.​

Well, dont get too crazy on him. They are just chickens, if i didnt have another place for them, id dump them in anyway. On these boards there is a fine line between what is necessary and what is completely overboard. I dont know for sure if the fumes would hurt the chickens, i guess they could kill some brain cells, but chickens really don't have that many anyway, so losing a few probably won't hurt much. the smell should go away before too long.

Well, dont get too crazy on him. They are just chickens, if i didnt have another place for them, id dump them in anyway. On these boards there is a fine line between what is necessary and what is completely overboard. I dont know for sure if the fumes would hurt the chickens, i guess they could kill some brain cells, but chickens really don't have that many anyway, so losing a few probably won't hurt much. the smell should go away before too long.

I don't get too crazy on him most of the time
wink.png
Really what I'm worried about with the paint, is the chickens respiratory systems, concerning the fumes, and them pecking at the paint and chipping it, and dying from the chemicals in the paint.

I put a fan in the coop a while ago, and i noticed this morning when I went in there, the smell was not near as strong.

Here's hoping!​

Back
Top Bottom