HELP - crack inside in should i be worried

davekrista

Songster
9 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Uxbridge, MA
I'm on day 22 (will start day 23 in 1 and 1/2 hours) and we were just getting ready to go to bed so I was checking the temp and humidity and turning and spraying... I noticed 1 of the eggs had like a crack in it. But it was more of and inside crack, (kind of hard to explain) - so I candled the egg and the baby is moving around in there but he crack is NOT in the air cell. I candled the eggs last night and that crack definately was not there. We've been busy so no one at all has been near the incubator so it didn't get bumped...... Its definately a crack made from the inside. When you run your finger over the crack, its smooth, but its a good enough crack you can definately see...................... So my concern is that it isn't in the air cell, will the duck be ok if it tries to get out while we sleep? Also should I consider going into lock down early and up the humidity? I quickly checked the other eggs (but not candled them) and didn't see any visual cracks like this one...... What should I do?

Too early for lock down. I would not temper with it and hope for the best. There is still the inner membrane protecting the baby. Some people use tape or put was on it. I would say leave it as long as you cannot feel a real crack. If you have to add anything I would suggest bees wax. It's natural, it does have anti fungal and anti bacterial properties, and does not prevent hatching.

Quote:
I listened to the egg, and I heard like a very faint tapping sound which i'm assuming is a good sign.... And no if you run your finger on the crack its still smooth so its definately from the inside. I wasn't sure if that meant it wanted out and was coming early or not so I wasn't sure if it was too early or not. 30 min will start day 23 so I wanted to be sure. I didn't want to go to bed until I knew for sure what i needed to do....

I had a dent in my egg on top of the air sac with tiny faint spider cracks not big by any means, but if you don't have natural bees wax like Katarina suggested, if you have crayons, melt the tip of the crayon and apply it on the crack, but since the crack isn't on the outside I guess you can't. I have 8 eggs starting lock down tonight unless something happens between now and then. Been having a heck of a time with this Hova Bator and fluctuating temps, I am NOT impressed by it at all. The temp inside the bator fluctuates from 90-98, but the eggs with a thermometer on top is 99-101. Good luck I'll be hoping for the very best for a successful hatching for you!

Back
Top Bottom