HELP! CRIPPLED DUCK

Morganstep96

Hatching
Jul 10, 2020
Hello! So I took in this 6 week old duckling (I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT DUCKS). She can’t walk, she hobbles around on her “ankles bones” and her bones are literally poking through! This has to be so painful for her. I plan to keep her more as a pet since she clearly can’t get around on her on. She’s able and LOVES to swim. Has anyone experienced this?? Any recommendations??

Attachments

• 28BDBC24-FC39-406A-835C-AD84A8F72876.jpeg
    28BDBC24-FC39-406A-835C-AD84A8F72876.jpeg
    412 KB · Views: 53
  • 284350DD-B53B-4F63-9476-3BEF77A445DE.jpeg
    284350DD-B53B-4F63-9476-3BEF77A445DE.jpeg
    482.3 KB · Views: 27
Hi,

The poor baby! I can't imagine the pain this duck may be in.

The duck needs to see a vet immediately. Ducks bone heal very fast and they may need to reset the bones properly. Also, the duck is at high risk on infection with an open wound on the legs and may need antibiotics.

There is a very high chance this duck will need surgery or (I hate to say this) may have to be put down. If the legs can't heal or be fixed then there is no way for the duck to get around and quality of life will be extremely poor.

My duck broke her thigh bone last year and had to have surgery to get a rod and pins placed in her leg. It cost a couple of thousands and around the clock care for about 2 months before she was able to really care for herself without accidentally injuring the leg again.

I'm so sorry. :(

Others might disagree, but if you're unable to take her to a vet, I would have her euthanized. At this point, surgery is probably the only way that might correct her problem, sadly.

I actually manage a vets office, which is how I got her😂. So don’t worry, this duck is getting so much care! My doctor looked at her and has seen nothing like it! So he was doing some research himself. She’s a super sweet duck, loves to cuddle, and she honestly seems really happy! I made her a little 2x4 in closure. She eats and drinks really well! This poor duck just wants to be loved. While my doctors doing some research, the duck let’s me put neosporan and bandaids on her little “bone nubs”. Just trying to think of how I can make something padded to “strap” to her little “nubs”.

If you’re looking to make a rubber prosthetic or nub protector then maybe have someone design you something on a 3D printer and make a pour. You can have various things printed online by people on Etsy. I’ve purchased various types of synthetics from Reynolds Advanced Materials (google for location near u and they do ship). I know they could give you a great recommendation on what type of synthetic would best suit your needs. U could then line the mold with gauze like they do with human prosthetics. Just a thought. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom