Help! Cuts on baby chick feet, no idea why!

OZAdelaidechick

In the Brooder
Jun 7, 2020
One of my nearly 4 week old chicks has got quite a few cuts on it's feet. Perhaps they are peck marks? No other signs of sickness or distress in this chick or any of the others. Had anyone else had this before? What might be causing this? They've been there a few days with no improvement. It doesn't appear that the chick is being picked on by any of the others. Chick is still eating, drinking and playing like normal.

Attachments

• 20200610_164348.jpg
    20200610_164348.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 77
What kind of bedding do you use? Do you use a metal feeder or any other metal device in the brooder that might get too hot under the heating lamp?

You could wash the feet and apply Blue Kote to prevent picking.

What kind of bedding do you use? Do you use a metal feeder or any other metal device in the brooder that might get too hot under the heating lamp?

You could wash the feet and apply Blue Kote to prevent picking.
No, nothing metal at all. They have wood shavings as their bedding. I'll look into Blue Kote, thanks.

Do you use a Mama Heating Pad or heating lamp?

Sometimes they like to lay on top of the heating pad with their feet tucked under their bellies, toes curled up so the toes might just get a bit too hot and the skin peels off.

Could you post a picture of your setup?

Do you use a Mama Heating Pad or heating lamp?

Sometimes they like to lay on top of the heating pad with their feet tucked under their bellies, toes curled up so the toes might just get a bit too hot and the skin peels off.

Could you post a picture of your setup?

It's a 4" x 6" brooder and there's now 2 x brinsea brooders that they sleep under. The heat lamp is on during the day but goes off at night. Their water is now a large drinker but most of the rest is the same.

Attachments

• 20200605_161129.jpg
    20200605_161129.jpg
    685.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 20200522_164914.jpg
    20200522_164914.jpg
    659.8 KB · Views: 18
I've had this happen once, but on the bottom of the feet of one chick. I couldn't find anything wrong with my setup and attributed it to quick growth and lots of activity. The cracked skin healed up quickly and without any other problems. There was never any blood, just cracks in the skin at the toe joints,

Well, it does not look overcrowded, but I wonder if they are being exposed to daylight/sun?
They get morning sun through a small window. This pic was taken at night, so obviously no sun then. The little cuts are still there but no one appears to be bothering the chick. I wonder if it's pecking itself? Do they do that?

Back
Top Bottom