Help day 20 still no pips!!!

PoultryLady2023

Chirping
Sep 25, 2023
I have 2 silkie eggs in the incubator for day 20. I had to candle them yesterday cause my cat spilled water out of it. The chicks was still moving. They was right beside the air sacs but hasn't popped though it yet. Should I be worried??? They have been in lockdown day 17

I do not think you need to worry yet.

The usual incubation length is 21 days. Even among bantams, many of them hatch at 21 days (yes we hear about the ones that hatch early, but not all of them do.) Sometimes they even hatch a bit late (especially if the incubator temperature was a tiny bit low. Being just a little cool, over the whole three weeks, can slow them down by a day or two.)

Also, how are you counting the days?
The day you put them in is day 0 (they have been in for no days)
The next day is day 1 (they have been in the incubator for one whole day)
Day 7 is the same day of the week that you put them in (they have been in the incubator 7 whole days, which is one whole week.)
Day 21 is the same day of the week as you put them in (they have been in the incubator for 21 days which is three weeks.)

If you count differently, then the expected hatch day will not be 21.

I do not think you need to worry yet.

The usual incubation length is 21 days. Even among bantams, many of them hatch at 21 days (yes we hear about the ones that hatch early, but not all of them do.) Sometimes they even hatch a bit late (especially if the incubator temperature was a tiny bit low. Being just a little cool, over the whole three weeks, can slow them down by a day or two.)

Also, how are you counting the days?
The day you put them in is day 0 (they have been in for no days)
The next day is day 1 (they have been in the incubator for one whole day)
Day 7 is the same day of the week that you put them in (they have been in the incubator 7 whole days, which is one whole week.)
Day 21 is the same day of the week as you put them in (they have been in the incubator for 21 days which is three weeks.)

If you count differently, then the expected hatch day will not be 21.
I put them in them in the incubator at 2:00 p.m on November 30th. The egg was almost full to the air sacs yesterday when I candled them. I seen veining and the chicks was moving still.

I put them in them in the incubator at 2:00 p.m on November 30th. The egg was almost full to the air sacs yesterday when I candled them. I seen veining and the chicks was moving still.
Then day 21 would be December 21, and that is when I would expect them to hatch.

For now, I would just leave them be. They most likely need another day or two before they are ready to hatch.

I've been counting them from the day I put them. So they should hatch by Thursday December 21st then?
I would say, hatch ON that day, not BY that day. But basically, yes.

(They could actually hatch 2-3 days earlier or later, depending on the incubation conditions and details of the individual chicks, so you are within the range of time they MIGHT hatch. But hatching on day 21 is more likely than hatching on any specific other day.)

Then day 21 would be December 21, and that is when I would expect them to hatch.

For now, I would just leave them be. They most likely need another day or two before they are ready to hatch.

(They could actually hatch 2-3 days earlier or later, depending on the incubation conditions and details of the individual chicks, so you are within the range of time they MIGHT hatch. But hatching on day 21 is more likely than hatching on any specific other day.)
Okay thank you I'm hatching these for my moms Christmas present so I'm praying they hatch. Since they was moving yesterday when I had to candle them

I agree. You still haven't reached day 21 yet - sometimes you will get chicks that hatch on day 19 and 20 but mainly chicks hatch between days 21 and 22.

Yes, just know also they will pip, but that doesn't mean they are ready to come out of the egg yet, so don't help. They need the oxygen to help draw in the remaining yolk. So if you see a pip, give it another 12-24 hours before helping. It is best to not help at all, but if you do go slow, if you see blood, stop helping, and have flour near by to dab it.

Back
Top Bottom