Help!!!!! Day 28 - no internal pip

newduckie2013

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 6, 2013
Hi -- Thanks for any help. I'm incubating a duck egg and it's on day 28. The air cell size looks good. When I candle it, I see a tiny bit of movement. I did the float test and it was a low floater and moved a little bit. I'm concerned because there is no internal pip - on day 28 - and the movement is very slight. Should I intervene?

frow.gif
I can't answer, but wanted to take the opportunity to say
welcome-byc.gif

I imagine someone will come along soon who can answer that. I would suggest you don't intervene till someone answers your question.
Good Luck!!
Glad to have you-

Thanks! I'm so worried - this is one, lone rescued egg that we found the day it was laid. I know for sure that today is day 28, but I think the temperature has probably not been consistent. I've read that sometimes the internal membrane can dry out and make it hard for them to internally pip, so I'm wondering if I should open up the air cell end and see if the membrane is white (dried?) or clear (healthy?)? It just doesn't seem to be moving very much, so I wonder if I should intervene.

Hi, I am not a hatcher, but this close, you want the humidity high and you do not want to be opening the incubator.

I wanted to send the above first thing, then add another comment. Have you checked in at the Thread Formerly Known as Hatch Day is Today? There are seasoned hatchers there.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what breed of duck - this was an egg rescued from the wild - there are white ducks and mallards at the pond. I just looked at it again and it was pushing up against the internal membrane a bit, but hasn't broken through.

I would let it go and candle late tonight if you dont have a pip..... what is humidity at and your sure air cells are on track? How many eggs? just one?
This is so exciting! I love my ancona ducks no matter what a mess they are in the winter!

The air cell is about 40% of the egg and dipped down on one side a bit - does that sound normal? I just put an additional dish of water and wet washcloth in there. I'm not measuring humidity - can there be too much humidity this late in the game? Yes, just one egg - which is why I'm so nervous about this! I've never done this before and I (and my kids) will be heartbroken if it doesn't end well!

Back
Top Bottom