Help! De-worming & possible Gape worm

Kabignot

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2019
I give my girls probiotics, vitamins, a little DE, great feed and keep the coop spotless. Clean water too. They cannot free range too many predators. I also clean their nice size outdoor area where they can romp around freely.

It is possible on of my ladies has gape worm and or possible worms. I want to treat all my girls. I have read that you can use Panacure just a pea size amount for each one. It is not feasible to go to a vet.

Is this accurate has anyone used Panacure? My girls are large.

Thank you 😊

Can you take a video of what they are doing that makes you think they have gapeworm and upload it to YouTube?

Gapeworm is not very common, but respiratory diseases are and they can make the bird 'gape.'

X2 that gapeworms are rare. Also DE is not good for eyes or breathing. Your vet might perform a fecal float on some fresh droppings, and could see the worm eggs if there. Roundworms are more common, and cecal or capillary worms are other possible worms.

To treat gapeworms, the pea size dose will not work. Panacur or Safeguard fenbendazole 10% dosage is 0.23 ml (1/4 ml) per pound of weight, given orally for 5 straight days. For a 5 pound chicken, that would be 1 1/4 ml in volume, and should be given in small increments, letting them swallow. To give, pull down on the wattles, put a little in the beak, release wattles and repeat.

X2 that gapeworms are rare. Also DE is not good for eyes or breathing. Your vet might perform a fecal float on some fresh droppings, and could see the worm eggs if there. Roundworms are more common, and cecal or capillary worms are other possible worms.

To treat gapeworms, the pea size dose will not work. Panacur or Safeguard fenbendazole 10% dosage is 0.23 ml (1/4 ml) per pound of weight, given orally for 5 straight days. For a 5 pound chicken, that would be 1 1/4 ml in volume, and should be given in small increments, letting them swallow. To give, pull down on the wattles, put a little in the beak, release wattles and repeat.
Thank you :)

Gapeworm is rare, unless you’re in the tropical states or area. DE can also cause respiratory irritation, distress or respiratory failure, so I recommend that you stop using it. Otherwise, respiratory infections such as Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG), Mycoplasma Synoviae (MS), Infectious Coryza, Infectious Bronchitis Virus (IBV), Infectious Laryngotracheitis Virus (ILT) and Aspergillosis can cause birds to have trouble breathing and gasp for air.

Back
Top Bottom