Help! Dead duck inside of egg?

MillersFarm

Easily distracted by Chickens
Jun 3, 2016
Lewiston NY
Hi! So recently one of my chickens went broody so i placed eight eggs under her, it's just been a little over a week. The air sack is already twice the size of a quarter maybe slightly smaller. Some of it's veins are also much darker then the others and i havent seen it move at all. should i dispose of it? or let it sit?

ChanLillie

Chirping
May 28, 2017
Carl Junction, MO
My Coop
My Coop
Try to remember that duck eggs take a week longer to incubate than chickens do so they grow slower. Veins on chicken eggs usually show at day 5-6 and movement at about a few days after that. Maybe even a week. I would give it until day 14 and see if there is any movement then. I take a dull pencil and mark where the air cell is on my eggs whenever I candle to check progress. Good luck!

MillersFarm

Jun 3, 2016
Lewiston NY
Thank you, the thing that worries me the most is that the air sack looks like a snow man and is kinda on the side of the egg. I know buy chicks when there hatched, So im not sure if thats important or not :confused:

MillersFarm

Jun 3, 2016
Lewiston NY
No, it was layed by our khaki campbell. But she was originally in our main chicken coop with a chicken that kept kicking her out for about five days until i separated her.

Top Bottom