Help dealing with death of a duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pizzaduck420, Jun 4, 2019.

1. BigBlueHen53

BigBlueHen53 Songster

Mar 5, 2019
    SE Missouri, USA
    :hugs. Lots and lots of :hugs!

We are not really supposed to "get over it," I don't think. Death is indeed a part of this life, but it was never meant to be. It's an enemy. It just hurts so much, and it's ... well ... so unnatural. So ... the opposite of life and joy.

I believe in a life after this one, one in which we will be reunited with some or all of our special animal friends and will get to enjoy their companionship forever, free from pain, fear, harm, guilt or regret. I'm very much looking forward to spending time (or rather, eternity!) with a couple of amazing horses, several awesome dogs, at least three beautiful parakeets, a couple of charming and funny goldfish and a few delightful cats! I'm sure your little duck will be happy to see you, too, and all will be well. Comfort yourself with that thought, and try not to be too hard on yourself. You did the best you could and meant no harm. If this had happened to a friend of yours, wouldn't you advise him or her to be compassionate with him/herself? You deserve no less. I wish you peace.

2. mountainchickens

mountainchickens Songster

Apr 7, 2019
    Colorado
    So sorry for your loss. :hugs It is hard to deal with something like this, but it will get better over time. You are a very caring person to love your little ones so much, and they will have a very good home with you. It will get better. Be compassionate with yourself, your little girl had a good life. We've lost some chicks and we knew that they'd had a happy life and we'd loved them and they were okay. It is hard for a few days, even a few weeks, but it will get better. All the best for you and your flock, I know you will love them and take very good care of them. You gave little Angel a good life. :hugs:hugs

3. Mixed flock enthusiast

Mixed flock enthusiast Crowing

May 21, 2018
    Stillwater, OK
    I’m so sorry for your loss and for all of the other sad losses that others have described! It’s so hard to lose a pet, and to have physically hurt that animal, even totally by accident, is going to increase the pain. I’ll just echo what others have said, that your duckling’s death was completely by accident, that you gave her the best life possible, and that you treat your remaining babies as well as you can. Accidents happen, and they are hard to foresee and prevent.

4. tpatricco

tpatricco Songster

Mar 24, 2019
    Warren, NJ
    I'm so sorry. Big hugs. :hugs

5. pizzaduck420

pizzaduck420 In the Brooder

May 28, 2019
    I feel so touched by all of your kind words and your stories. You've made me feel less alone in this grief. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking the time to share your experiences with me; I read them with my mom and we cried together over your lost babies and mine. :hugs

I want to do some research and see if it's okay to introduce a couple of new ducklings around the same age in with mine, and if so, adopt one or two who are in need of a home. I can never replace her or get her back, but I have a lot of extra love (and peas). Shouldn't let that go to waste.

Thank you again. I really needed it. :love

Attached Files:

6. Dees ducks

Dees ducks Chirping

Jan 19, 2019
    UK
    Oh my darling......my heart goes out to you. Try to let it go, you sound like a wonderfull duck Mum and blaming yourself will drive you nuts or completely paranoid around the other duckies! It was a freak, unexplained accident that could happen to anyone. And yes, get more ducks, they'll have a lovely home with buddies and peas galore! Best wishes for the future.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: