Help Deciding on a DP

blackvelvet

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 4, 2011
East Tennessee
I am really wanting to get me a dual purpose breed. I current am raising cornish x and I know they have the best feed to meat ratio. Should I actually stick to raising these for meat and keep my Jaerhons for eggs or maybe get a dual purpose breed for both. I really like Delwares, orpingtons, and welsummers.

There is no one right answer for all of us. We all have different goals and circumstances.

There are a lot of differences between the broilers and DP other than feed to meat ratio. DP mature later so the meat has a different texture. You feed and manage them differently. There is not as much breast meat on DP. You don't have to process the DP at a specific time to avoid the medical problems. Plenty more differences.

You might consider getting some DP and maybe raise them with your Jaerhons if you have room. See how it goes. You can always go back to your other system if you wish.

As far as breed, you will find people in love with any of them. They are all called DP for a reason. Just pick one that you think you will like and go for it. If you pluck, I'd consider a white or buff bird so the pin feathers don't show as much and you get a prettier carcass. But really, any of them will work.

Good luck!

Ridgerunner brings some very good points. I would maybe say marans, they lay great and carry a fair amount of meat. Plus they can lay the chocolate colored eggs.

Ridgerunner brings very good points. I will have to consider everything that has been said. Do not get me wrong but I like marans. but I prefer Welsummers over marans. One of my friends locally has Barber line of welsummers and they are gorgoues and lay very dark eggs. But as was stated by Ridgerunner a white or buff bird would probably be best. Just will have to do a lot of thinking about which breed. No matter what breed I do decide on. I want some of the very best lines.

Back
Top Bottom