Help deciding on a turkey coop

GhostRider65

Songster
8 Years
Mar 6, 2011
NE Wisconsin
I have been planning to build another chicken coop so I can separate my pea combs from straight combs, but I figured if possible I would divide the coop approximately 16 foot diameter circle, post and beam, cordwood coop...... which would give me 2 sides approximately 8 by 16, I plan to get a trio of Midget whites... so plenty of room for 3 birds, I will have a wall dividing the 2 sections of coop, but I'm not sure If this is enough separation between turkey's and chickens the outside pen will be divided as well, but a fence will be all that's between them.... Will my chickens get mt turkeys sick ? or being kept apart will minimize this scenario...... My neighbor keeps them free ranging all together but she has lost many turkeys to who knows what sickness, I think it has something to do with the chickens... maybe worms? Not sure so thought I would ask the experts what do ya think..... it will look something like this and be divided into 2 separate coops...

First Awesome coop! Your welcome to come down to my farm and build one anytime.
fl.gif
You can even bring your horses!

Second there are a lot of people that raise them in the same pen or with direct contact. That would be up to you. Chickens as you know can give Blackhead to turkeys. Check your local Ag ext office to see if this is a problem in your area. If it's not than you are more than secure with what you are doing.

I try to keep my chickens and turkeys separate, but when the turkeys start missing me they come find me. The chickens also walk up to the turkey area and beyond, so they have some contact. I have never had a problem, but my mother had blackhead every year. We also used to have a ton of earthworms around when I was growing up.

Back
Top Bottom