HELP! desperately trying to work out if she's a chicken or a cockerel?

leahjayne88

Hatching
7 Years
May 26, 2012
Canterbury, Kent, Uk
This bird showed up on our doorstep in Canterbury, Kent. He walked straight into the house and when we phoned wild life centres they said they wouldn't take it in and when we said it could get ran over they said if that happens - phone the police.... needless to say we couldn't leave her especially when she kept trying to get in to our house. We thought it was a young pheasant to begin with but as time has gone on, it began to look more like a chicken/rooster but now it's began to grow larger darker feathers pointing down underneath and he doesn't make chicken noises but a small soft chirp. He is also pretty friendly, can just sit on your lap while you stroke his back. Any help or ideas on what he is or how old he is? would be great. Oh yeah and he doesn't fly too much, he can fly about 3 metres at most.

We posted this on a bird forum and everyone seemed to say completely opposite things... we were hoping there would be a unanimous answer but we're even more confused. We are meant to be sending her off to my boyfriends parents house but I don't think they'll be allowed a cock due to the loud noise and them living in essex. The whole experience has made me decide to keep some chickens myself and I've ordered some books online incase his parents don't take her... in which case i'd need to get some more chickens as she is on her own and while it's cool at the moment cause we're at home all day and chill with her a lot because she doesn't like being on her own when I get a job in a couple of months she'll need some friends. Is it ok to bring another hen onto the scene?

really the main thing we'd like to know if possible is if anyone can tell what breed, sex and age he/she might be?

ok well... I just attempted to attach some pictures but it wouldn't let me but if you click on my profile there are some photos there and i'll be putting up more soon!

It looks like it could be a chicken - if it is it is probably only a couple months old. It looks more like a girl, than a boy, to me. As for breed... Maybe a cross of breeds?

hi leahjayne88--

WELCOME to the BYC forum...

Your story is so interesting. I agree with the above poster that it looks like a chicken of some sort...hopefully a hen. It seems very docile, and seems to like you and your house quite a lot!! I'm surprised someone hasn't come looking for it.

Many people would love such a friendly bird. Good luck with it.

I believe you can post pics after you make 10 posts. That appears to be a small game hen of some sort. It's definitely a hen and will probably make a great pet. Chickens are social animals and are happier when with other chickens. She's beautiful. Be sure and check her over for lice and mites. Check at the base of her feathers around her vent/butt and look for crawling adults and clusters of hard white eggs on the feather shafts close to the skin. She will need chicken feed and will enjoy treats like eggs, cheese, melon, oatmeal, etc. If she seems weak or stressed, offer her some half strength Gatorade.

I believe you can post pics after you make 10 posts. That appears to be a small game hen of some sort. It's definitely a hen and will probably make a great pet. Chickens are social animals and are happier when with other chickens. She's beautiful. Be sure and check her over for lice and mites. Check at the base of her feathers around her vent/butt and look for crawling adults and clusters of hard white eggs on the feather shafts close to the skin. She will need chicken feed and will enjoy treats like eggs, cheese, melon, oatmeal, etc. If she seems weak or stressed, offer her some half strength Gatorade.

Thanks for the input... I'll check her over for lice and mites... when I stroke her this silvery crust seems to flake off, I assumed it was just a bit of dandruff, is that anything to worry about?

also when we first began looking after her 2 weeks ago she had very watery poo but we bought some chicken feed for young chickens cause we assumed she must be 10 weeks or so? and her poo has gone very hard, I just wanted to make sure that's not a sign of anything. I always imagined chicken poo would be like other bird poo browny and white and and more moist. Now i'm not sure if I should go with younger chicken food now? crumbs and layer mash?

thanks so much for the tips on what to feed her that she might like. I love her to bits already and desperately wanted it to be a girl, I couldn't imagine never seeing her again. She will sit on my shoulder for hours.

Leah

Oh what a beautiful bird, she looks very hen-like to me, a lot like an Old English Game. Chickens have solid poops, unlike other birds, but like other birds they have both pee and poop in the same mass.

She looks like she's 6-8 weeks old, but that means she can eat grower and doesn't need starter anymore, so you're okay. Absolutely no layer food until she starts laying, the high levels of calcium will mess up her system.

She sounds like a lovely girl, I hope you get to keep her. Let us know how it goes!
smile.png

The dry flaky stuff is the remnants of protein feather sheaths that cover new feathers as they emerge. As the feather grows, it breaks the protective sheath and it flakes off. Chickens have several different poops that are all normal. The link below is of the "poop chart." I must admit I'm envious of your new found friend. As much as you love her now, you're gonna love her more. If she needs a bath, it's ok to give her one, just use a very mild shampoo like baby shampoo or a bit of Dawn dishwashing liquid. They love very warm water and the hairdryer treatment. I also use a conditioner so the feathers don't become so brittle.

http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

sorry about this... just one last question. I've been reading about introducing new chickens to a flock, because I know that chickens are flock birds and don't like to be alone, especially her, she always wants company. But adding new chicks to a flock seems complex after reading https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock ....

I see you're meant to put chickens of the same size, however with the situation of not quite knowing exacts about her at the moment, could I put her with chickens of a different breed? will it matter that they will grow a deal bigger than her, cause she is a lot smaller than some 9 week old chickens I saw were nearly double the size of her. and that you should keep them separate for the first 6 weeks before joining them together. does anyone think that it will be possible to add chickens of a different breed and size with her and will it be a lot more complicated because of her strange upbringing on her own for the last 2 weeks?

I've got some books coming on raising chickens soon so i'll have a good read of them.

sorry about this... just one last question. I've been reading about introducing new chickens to a flock, because I know that chickens are flock birds and don't like to be alone, especially  her, she always wants company. But adding new chicks to a flock seems complex after reading https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock ....

I see you're meant to put chickens of the same size, however with the situation of not quite knowing exacts about her at the moment, could I put her with chickens of a different breed? will it matter that they will grow a deal bigger than her, cause she is a lot smaller than some 9 week old chickens I saw were nearly double the size of her. and that you should keep them separate for the first 6 weeks before joining them together. does anyone think that it will be possible to add chickens of a different breed and size with her and will it be a lot more complicated because of her strange upbringing on her own for the last 2 weeks? 

I've got some books coming on raising chickens soon so i'll have a good read of them. 
She is simply beautiful! Looks to be a pullet to me :) Mix of some sort.

You can put bigger breeds with her, but make sure they are about the same age. I have silkies with very large cochins. I've seen my silkies pick on the cochins (which are 5 times their size).

I really like her colouring by the way. So pretty :love

Back
Top Bottom