HELP! desperately trying to work out if she's a chicken or a cockerel?

sorry about this... just one last question. I've been reading about introducing new chickens to a flock, because I know that chickens are flock birds and don't like to be alone, especially her, she always wants company. But adding new chicks to a flock seems complex after reading https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock ....

I see you're meant to put chickens of the same size, however with the situation of not quite knowing exacts about her at the moment, could I put her with chickens of a different breed? will it matter that they will grow a deal bigger than her, cause she is a lot smaller than some 9 week old chickens I saw were nearly double the size of her. and that you should keep them separate for the first 6 weeks before joining them together. does anyone think that it will be possible to add chickens of a different breed and size with her and will it be a lot more complicated because of her strange upbringing on her own for the last 2 weeks?

I've got some books coming on raising chickens soon so i'll have a good read of them.

When I just started out I just stuck any new chickens I got together - It worked out okay! There were only a few months old though. I agree with aoxa about being able to put her with other birds as long as they are the same age (or close).

Don't feel sorry about asking any questions - If anyone else who needs help comes across this page we might help them out a lot! After all, that is what BYC is mainly for - Asking questions. And I've asked my fair share of questions
gig.gif

Looks like a game hen of some type.

ETA her eyes stand out to me, she might be a bantam given her size. My standard hens would not be able to perch on my one finger like that. They're feet and weight is already too much and they are 9wks. You could easily get another bantam and house the two in a dog house. They'd be happy as clams. :)

Last edited:
sorry about this... just one last question. I've been reading about introducing new chickens to a flock, because I know that chickens are flock birds and don't like to be alone, especially her, she always wants company. But adding new chicks to a flock seems complex after reading https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock ....

I see you're meant to put chickens of the same size, however with the situation of not quite knowing exacts about her at the moment, could I put her with chickens of a different breed? will it matter that they will grow a deal bigger than her, cause she is a lot smaller than some 9 week old chickens I saw were nearly double the size of her. and that you should keep them separate for the first 6 weeks before joining them together. does anyone think that it will be possible to add chickens of a different breed and size with her and will it be a lot more complicated because of her strange upbringing on her own for the last 2 weeks?

I've got some books coming on raising chickens soon so i'll have a good read of them.

You can put her with other breeds but if your putting her with standard size chicks I would make sure she is a few weeks older than they are so they can grow together.
I have a few bantams with my standard chickens now but I made sure that the bantams were well adjusted before the standards then it is easier for them to establish a pecking order.

There is always rule's I follow when moving chicks out with the big girls and that is that the chick must be completely feathered all over its body and be a average size before I will let them go out with the big girls.

Another is when merging them together it is best done at night when they can't see then step back and let them wake together. I have never had an issue so far while doing it this way. I keep an eye on them for at least a week paying close attention to their feathers daily and their crops 1. to make sure they aren't being pecked at . and 2 to be sure they are getting enough to eat.

Back
Top Bottom