Help determining sex please.

Depends.
It's certainly safer to quarantine.
I've never done it.

At least give a couple days for them to see eachother but not touch.
Another pen would be good for this.
Kinda sad it being just her.
Ideally getting 2+ birds at a time - takes the integration pressure off that line hen, for a start.

This is all great info, thanks so much.
how would I do it if I found two buff orps That were 5months old? Our current flock is almost 3 months old.

This is all great info, thanks so much.
how would I do it if I found two buff orps That were 5months old? Our current flock is almost 3 months old.
Yes, he’s a cockerel. Those ages would be fine together, but you have to quarantine. If you are at all emotionally attached to your current flock, please don’t skip the quarantine. They could all die very quickly.

Yes, he’s a cockerel. Those ages would be fine together, but you have to quarantine. If you are at all emotionally attached to your current flock, please don’t skip the quarantine. They could all die very quickly.
Make sure they are girls before you drive off with them also!
x2, do the quarantine!

I’ve found some pullets that are 4 months old. Those saying we need to quarantine before putting them all together...how long do we need to do that for?
My concern is that these 4mknth old hens will start laying before our current flock. We don’t have a ton of space to quarantine the two new ones we’d like to add. And I don’t want to build a buy a whole second coop/run for them. Does my question make sense?

I’ve found some pullets that are 4 months old. Those saying we need to quarantine before putting them all together...how long do we need to do that for?
My concern is that these 4mknth old hens will start laying before our current flock. We don’t have a ton of space to quarantine the two new ones we’d like to add. And I don’t want to build a buy a whole second coop/run for them. Does my question make sense?
Why is it a concern that they will lay earlier?

Essentially I’m not sure how best to “quarantine” the two new additions. The current flock of four that are almost 3 months are living in the coop/run. So the two new additions that are older will need to be kept separate from the current flock, and they won’t have nesting boxes (in the event they start laying fairly soon). I’d be adding the two new hens to the same chicken run just adding a little barrier/wall so they can see each other but not be in the same run.

Back
Top Bottom