1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! Diagnose my sick chicken....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickchick, May 21, 2008.

1. chickchick

chickchick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2007
    Portland, Oregon
    My Buff Orpington hen is now 1 year old, and has slways been healthy and lays regularly. But she has been in the nesting box day and night, never once getting out for the last 2 days.

I have hand fed her some feed and scratch, but she won't take any water or the oatmeal I made for her. She did lay an egg last evening.

No external signs of wounds or mites.

We did have 3 days of really hot weather, into the 90's and I provided them with extra water but I don't think they really took it. I was wondering if she may have heat stroke? It is much cooler now, but she still won't come out.

Does anyone have any ideas? Please post them my way of you do, I really don't know what else to do for her right now.

Thank you for your help...

2. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Is she trying to sit on eggs? Maybe going broody? I am not sure but I hope she is fine...

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  3. vwoods

vwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Spotsylvania, Virginia
    Buffs are broody girls. I think she may be getiing broody on you!

4. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    yup she has gone broody.. just the way alot of them buff hens are

5. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Do a test for broodiness. Set her out of the nest. She should either set down, fuzzed up, and clucking or take off to the food while fuzzed up and clucking at you. If she just sets there clucking, ruffle up her back feathers(may take severel attempts). She should complain, but this should get her up to eat. If not, put your hand under her butt and start gently pushing her along till she takes off.

If broody she will return to the nest after food, water, and probably a dust bath.

Matt

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  6. chickchick

chickchick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2007
    Portland, Oregon
    ChickChick's DH here:

We thought she may be broody as whenever I'd go out to console her she'd tend to ruffle up and make herself look big and protective. So we removed the egg under her (the 'lay here' fake egg), took her out and threw out a bunch of their 'treat' feed. All the chickens came running and she went right for the water.

So we're sticking with broody and will try all the usual techniques for keeping her fed and happy.

Thanks for all the quick replies! We weren't aware (or at least I wasn't) that Buffs are particularly broody.

Dionys

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by