Help Diarea?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MarlaKaye, Jan 22, 2009.

1. MarlaKaye

MarlaKaye Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    My chicks yesterday and yet this morning are poohing a great deal and it is loose and dark. Usually they just have one or two like this a day. These are my week old silkies. I forgot to change the water one day. Could that cause it. I have it on a small rise so feces doesn't get in it.
    I'm worried because I know how fast diarea can take a baby down, human or pet.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
  3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Wow, who would have thought there would be a wen page about different kinds of poo. I am in awe.

4. MarlaKaye

MarlaKaye Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Nope didn't find anything that looks like it on that page. Wonderful excriment chart. Very helpful. Soon as I find my camera I will document as many differant poohs as I can.

The pooh I am concerned about looks like choc syrup. Very dark, and same consistancy. Foul odor, too.

When it was just once or twicce I day it didn't concern me, but one of these two chicks is having it constantly now. I can't keep the brooder clean for ten minutes. This concerns me more for the chicks than it does for my labor. Having been a Jungle Doc in Central America in the 80's I know how important this can be and how quickly one can go down if the problem is not identified and dealt with.

I'm supposing it is the chick with the poohie pastie behind, which means it is only four days old. These are my only buff silkies to make it from two hatches. That is less than a 5 percent hatch rate. I Sure don't want to loose them.
    Thanks so much for your help!
    Your's
    MarlaKaye

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by