HElp!! Disaster!! Babies dying everyday

the1honeycomb

Songster
9 Years
Apr 23, 2010
Yadkinville NC-3yrs
I have lost 6 chicks in the last 3 days!! they have plenty of fresh water and feed, I can only imagine they are either cold or they don't have good enough ventilation I put a heat lite in with them. gave them save a chick additive, and the door to their coop is open but I am still finding them dead!!!??? any ideas

Oh, how old are the chicks? And you have them outside? What's your climate like now? What is their poop like......Any drafts? Are they fully feathered? Let me know......

How old are they? What are the temps like where you are? What kind of bulb do you have in the heat lamp? How close can they get to the bulb?

Okay theynare really young still..what is the temp another words..
99.5 the first week

Second week drop it 5 degrees and so forth each week

But in your coop could it be that it's just too cold..because your wattage isn't getting them warm enough?

I would make sure I would have an area where they lay, 90 degrees

And those that don't want to be that warm..can move away from the heat

Iam so sorry about your losses

Sending you big hugs

And also ventilation..just make sure where their is an area..they can go to in the coop is at least 90 degrees, since you have even 1 week olds in there..

If you are brooding week old chicks in a outside coop then there getting to cold and dieing from chill.
You can brood them in a card board box or a plastic tub from walmart they run about 7 dollars and you can cut out a square in the top add some hardware cloth to the hole hot glue it down and use it to set your heat lamp on. this whole process takes about 20 min and only cost 10 dollars. Raise them in that somewhere safe and draft free. Till about 3-4 weeks old ish then transfer them to the open coop with a 220 watt red heat lamp and they should do fine. Forn now give them scrambled eggs and make sure there very warm. you need to snap them out of the chill. Sugar water is also good for extra energy when there chilled. Use luke warm tap water not cold.

Back
Top Bottom