HELP! Do dogs EAT chickens like a wild predator would???

Yes some will eat chicken , and kill more than they can eat.. The golden would love to play with them in water.

ACO and he doesn't know about dogs ???????? make the dog owner pay for the chickens.

Sure the dog killed the chickens...... The golden probably played with them a little first.
From time to time dogs do eat chickens but hunger isn't most dogs' motivation. However like all children, dogs like to play with their food. They especially enjoy pinning the bird, biting, chewing, ripping its flesh and crushing the body. Then the pooch likes to pick up your chicken, shake it and beat and whip the lifeless body against the ground. Whether the dog eats your chicken or not is immaterial, the chicken is dead none the less.

An escaped dog is a bored dog, especially dogs bred to hunt. This type of dog has a need for exercise, and a lot of it. Bored dogs are also looking for excitement. Killing your chickens provide the dog with the K9 excitement that it is lacking. As someone has already mentioned even a harmless looking but energetic dog breed like a Yorkshire Terrier is an efficient chicken killing machine. Hint, the word "Terrier" in a dogs' name means that it was bred to destroy terrestrial vermin or anything that "flees from the dog."

One way to tell if you suffered a dog attack is to see how widely feathers and "other" chicken fragments are scattered. As can be seen from my description of a dog attack in the first paragraph, dogs make a mess out of a chicken.

Mr. Foxes' and Sir Coyotes' first names are 'Sly,' and 'Wiley' in that order. They both like to dine in safety as well as in private. I guess anything is possible but always expect a fox or coyote to take his chicken dinner home with him, takeout style. Not only is it better for the varmints' digestion, but should the chicken owner show up with a firearm while the varmint is chowing down in the irate chicken owners' backyard, a takeout order is also safer.

Last edited:
Sure the dog killed the chickens. What you describe sounds exactly like what happened although the golden may have had accomplices. Plus the way the dog acted it typical for a dog that knows it may have done something wrong. The golden probably played with them a little first.

Honestly, the kills scene sounds like a feral dog/coyote/fox/etc. The golden sounds like a pet. I doubt the golden had anything to do with it. You can tell a dog that's eaten a bunch of chickens - they don't really clean up well - especially light colored breeds - blood on the muzzle, etc. It's possible he killed some, but something else ate them - probably the neighbor's dog you mentioned.

As to the 'dog knowing it's done something wrong' - half the dogs out there are a pain to catch when they get off leash - they think avoiding you is a fun game. I wouldn't read much into that.

My advice - put up a fence.

Last edited:
My neighborhood is positively FULL of dogs that eat chickens. And the Animal Control Officer is a certified idiot !!
This is silly - the OP's post says nothing about the Animal Control Officer saying it wasn't a dog - he said it wasn't that specific dog - which is pretty **** easy to tell. There was another dog loose in the area at the time, which means the animal control guy was probably correct.

When a dog grabs and shakes a chicken and then moves on, like most do, it's really tough to tell - but when a dog is eating chickens - it's not. There's quite a bit of blood in a chicken, and eating the heads off them makes a mess - especially of a dog with yellow fur.

This is silly - the OP's post says nothing about the Animal Control Officer saying it wasn't a dog - he said it wasn't that specific dog - which is pretty **** easy to tell. There was another dog loose in the area at the time, which means the animal control guy was probably correct.

When a dog grabs and shakes a chicken and then moves on, like most do, it's really tough to tell - but when a dog is eating chickens - it's not. There's quite a bit of blood in a chicken, and eating the heads off them makes a mess - especially of a dog with yellow fur.
I believe you miss read the OP first post about the killings. here is what they posted:
Finally they got the dog to the car and the officer told us and the owner that by looking at the chickens and the dog there was no way the dog had killed the

Dogs will kill and eat chickens as well as other birds and leave them there ,a wild animal like fox coyote or bob cat snatch a a bird and run off with it to eat it in a safe area, if they were dumb enough to stay out in the open and eat a bird they would not be alive very long because they would be seen.
wink.png

Last edited:
I believe you miss read the OP first post about the killings. here is what they posted:
Finally they got the dog to the car and the officer told us and the owner that by looking at the chickens and the dog there was no way the dog had killed the

Dogs will kill and eat chickens as well as other birds and leave them there ,a wild animal like fox coyote or bob cat snatch a a bird and run off with it to eat it in a safe area, if they were dumb enough to stay out in the open and eat a bird they would not be alive very long because they would be seen.
wink.png
Bolding mine.

"The dog" means 'that specific dog'. It does not mean the same thing as "A dog". I did not misread the post - and it appears you have.

I know dogs will kill and eat chickens - and so does the Animal Control Officer. If that specific dog had eaten the chickens, there would be blood in its fur and on it's muzzle. Considering that we KNOW that there was another dog loose at the same time, its likely that it was not 'that specific dog'

Hey folks the DOG has probably died of old age. This post is 4.5 years old. Yes dogs eat chickens, and yes dogs also just thrill kill. What's the big deal?

Back
Top Bottom