Help! Do I need to toss this whole batch?

Artichoke Lover

Free Ranging
Jul 27, 2020
Southeast US
So I had an egg crack under a broody and it contaminated all the other eggs. It wasn’t rotten I suspect I have an egg eater. But can I clean the egg off today the other or do I need to toss all of these and give her fresh eggs. I’m currently on day 2

So I had an egg crack under a broody and it contaminated all the other eggs. It wasn’t rotten I suspect I have an egg eater. But can I clean the egg off today the other or do I need to toss all of these and give her fresh eggs. I’m currently on day 2
That’s a toughy. I would give her all new ones if these aren’t that important to you. She would have to sit on dried yolk, and the yolk could contaminate the others eggs to be fatal. I wouldn’t clean of the eggs if you do want to leave them under there. If you can handle risk, leave them under, if you DEFINITELY need/want chicks then I would throw the batch.

Another Option is to wait a week and candle.

Please don’t just take my opinion though, let others way in!

That’s a toughy. I would give her all new ones if these aren’t that important to you. She would have to sit on dried yolk, and the yolk could contaminate the others eggs to be fatal. I wouldn’t clean of the eggs if you do want to leave them under there. If you can handle risk, leave them under, if you DEFINITELY need/want chicks then I would throw the batch.

Another Option is to wait a week and candle.

Please don’t just take my opinion though, let others way in!
I think considering how nasty these are and the fact that I’m only on day 2 I will replace them. It’s an easy if disappointing fix since these are just mix eggs from my flock. I’ve got enough on the counter to replace them tonight.

Good call. Last year I had a broody on eggs, and one broke at some point. Her feathers and the other eggs were all nasty, but I let her stay on them. They all ended up being dead and rotten. I don't know if they were ever viable or if the broken egg caused it, but my experience wasn't good.

I would suggest you just leave it alone as it will all dry up and you will still have your other eggs to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom