Help... do we have ANOTHER rooster???

Ugh... I was afraid of that! :( Can you keep more than one rooster if they were raised together? Everyone loves ā€œherā€ and the other rooster.
100% a cockerel. His coloring is only male specific. You can keep 2 males together sometimes but you have to have plenty of hens for both. When keeping more than 1 cockerel I suggest at least 10 hens per rooster. Sometimes you'll need more.

Ugh... I was afraid of that! :( Can you keep more than one rooster if they were raised together? Everyone loves ā€œherā€ and the other rooster.

It really depends on the cockerels, and their access to pullets/hens. If you don't have a lot of females for them, it would be best to keep them separate and out of sight of the ladies (bachelor coop). If you've got a high ratio of females to males, it might work out to keep them all together. You just need to monitor the situation carefully.

Being able to keep multiple roosters really depends on the temperament of the males in my experience. I have had roosters that once dominance is established don't squabble at all and only top roo will mount the hens. I have also had roos pick each other and all the hens half naked.

Ugh... I was afraid of that! :( Can you keep more than one rooster if they were raised together?
Yes you can. I hatch out hundreds of chicks every year of which around half will be males which originally I put them in Chick/grow-out coops and pens. When the cockerels start harassing the pullets I move them to bachelor coops and pens. Rarely, but it has happened when most of the males will gang up on one male but again it is rare. These are some of my Rhode Island Red cockerels in bachelor coops and pens.
2014-10-07 11.26.20.jpg
2014-11-11 09.59.28.jpg

Back
Top Bottom